• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VW Camper Van

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VW Camper Van

The missus saw an article in the Mail on Sunday magazine this weekend about VW Camper Vans and was going on (and on) about how it would be fun to get one and just zoom off to places. This took me somewhat by surprise as she's normally a five star and jacuzzi type of girl. However I said I'd "look into it". Which might mean "don't mention it until she's totally forgotten about it and moved onto the next fad".

Anyway, observing my spousely duties I thought what better place to start than CUK - so does anyone have or has anyone ever had a camper van and actually gone away anywhere in it?

No caravaners please. I have to draw the line somewhere.

Cheers.
    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

A couple of friends have them, pretty good as you can just drive away, park up on a beach somewhere and get pissed, have a BBQ and drive home the next day.

Bit of a nonsense really as they have SKY and LCDs in them, just like transporting your livingroom to the country for a day.

Comment

One of my cousins lived in one for about a year recently with her boyfriend. They wild camped in laybys and only decided to move into more traditional accommodation when the winter came and it got 'a bit cold'.

VW camper vans must be collector's items. Prices are silly. If you want to see what they're like in use, pop down to Cornwall (Newquay Fisterhole beach area) and you'll see loads filled with surfers. They have about as much room as a coffin.
      Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
      Feist - I Feel It All
      Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Nobody who didn't wear beads to the the Isle of Wight festival should be allowed to buy one.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
          One of my cousins lived in one for about a year recently with her boyfriend. They wild camped in laybys and only decided to move into more traditional accommodation when the winter came and it got 'a bit cold'.

VW camper vans must be collector's items. Prices are silly. If you want to see what they're like in use, pop down to Cornwall (Newquay Fisterhole beach area) and you'll see loads filled with surfers. They have about as much room as a coffin.
          Ideal place for camper vans I suppose. Do people go there to 'walk their dogs' also ?
          When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
            VW camper vans must be collector's items. Prices are silly.
            They are indeed very collectable Expect to pay between 10 and 30 grand depending on the model and depending on how much welding you want to do

Comment

Hmmm, further investigation required. Thanks for the replies.
              ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

I had one back in the 80's for gigging around the western highlands, reliable and fun.

Many's a time had an after gig party in the van
                Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                  Hmmm, further investigation required. Thanks for the replies.

Try hiring one for a long weekend and see if the missus is still keen afterwards.

A mate once bought a first gen VW Beetle for his missus as she kept nagging him for one. She only drove it once before saying she didn't like it. Too old fashioned.

Not saying all old VWs are crap, but they might be.
                  Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                  Feist - I Feel It All
                  Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Speak to Suity.

Comment

Working...
                    X