• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question about lengthy\current gap in CV

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about lengthy\current gap in CV

Hi,

I've just registered here and am wondering if anyone else has had this issue.

Been a contractor since 2005, but due to major family problems have not been available since June 2009. As a result, I now have a huge gap in the CV!

What's the best way around this? I can fill the gaps with some training I've done, but obviously that won't cover the whole period.

Another problem I've got is the people I worked with have now moved on (Banking industry), so I don't really have references or contacts to fall back onto.

I've already had agents refusing my CV due to the length of time out - it's the usual excuse, "The client wants someone with recent experience".

It would be good to hear from anyone who has had similar problems, and the best way to get round this, as the money has nearly gone

Thanks

Sounds to me more as though you have been working part-time from home, and that's kept you up-to-date.

We won't tell anybody if you dont :-)

Comment

Originally posted by KimberleyChris View Post
      Sounds to me more as though you have been working part-time from home, and that's kept you up-to-date.

We won't tell anybody if you dont :-)
      Thankss for the response.

Problem is inventing contacts to fill the gap (and lack of contact details for the work) is going to look suspicious, if I'm asked about them at interview stage

Or do I fill the gap with non-IT work? I can blag my way through the interview, not sure about outright lying though

Comment

Originally posted by DcoC View Post
        Thankss for the response.

Problem is inventing contacts to fill the gap (and lack of contact details for the work) is going to look suspicious, if I'm asked about them at interview stage

Or do I fill the gap with non-IT work? I can blag my way through the interview, not sure about outright lying though
        Have you considered telling the truth? A novel concept I know but it might just work.

Comment

Originally posted by JamJarST View Post
          Have you considered telling the truth? A novel concept I know but it might just work.
          Yes, but like I said the Agents are reluctant to forward my CV on, as I don't have "recent experience"

I am willing to take a lower rate if it gets my foot in the door, but this doesn't sway them

Comment

Originally posted by DcoC View Post
            Yes, but like I said the Agents are reluctant to forward my CV on, as I don't have "recent experience"

I am willing to take a lower rate if it gets my foot in the door, but this doesn't sway them
            Well it is up to you I suppose but when an agent has asked me to lie I have refused. If you get found out it could end badly and getting a reputation for dishonesty could hurt more than having a gap on your CV.

Comment

It's very difficult. I think most people have various versions of their CV, and I suppose you could be cynical and say "Keep your honest CV for when you meet an honest employer".
              I think that the best step would be to have a chat with the agent you feel the best relationship with, and take their advice, as they are best aware of industry trends etc.
              It does seem unfair that somebody should be disadvantaged by having a hiatus in their CV enforced by family circumstances.
              Am I right in assuming that the banking industry is such that you no longer have an 'in' via the direct approach - i.e. not via agencies?

Comment

Originally posted by KimberleyChris View Post
                It's very difficult. I think most people have various versions of their CV, and I suppose you could be cynical and say "Keep your honest CV for when you meet an honest employer".
                I think that the best step would be to have a chat with the agent you feel the best relationship with, and take their advice, as they are best aware of industry trends etc.
                It does seem unfair that somebody should be disadvantaged by having a hiatus in their CV enforced by family circumstances.
                Am I right in assuming that the banking industry is such that you no longer have an 'in' via the direct approach - i.e. not via agencies?
                There is a difference between tailoring a CV to a specific contract, and out and out lying though. I have never lied on a CV.

Comment

Contacts? You're kidding! I went through 3 agents and just as many PMs when I was there! I doubt there's anyone left that remembers that far back

No way back in for the forseeable....I was let go when they moved the post to India.

There are some contracts being advertised, but they're being drip-fed through so slowly, it'll be another few years before my areas come up

Comment

Surely as an IT professional you have many 'transferrable skills'?
                    Does it have to be banking?

Comment

Working...
                    X