• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Kings Speech

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Kings Speech

I just watched it with SY02 after putting it off as being "too grown up". Cried at bits. Thoroughly enjoyed it, and while still having contact with the past (Grandad - 94) a lot of it still seems relevant.

The days gone by where one man's speech (pre modern media, pre internet) could have had such an impact is truly breathtaking.

The contrast in my brain of Murdoch's world, and the advancement of the new world order on our lives never so illuminated, suddenly it all clicked together.

Foreign families in this country are not a new idea. Racism is.

Society is in decline. Since the welfare state, fatherless families bereft of the cane at school, with the absence of park keepers with a clip round the ear - or the odd bobby on the beat with a thick ear have led rise to the new breed.

The hoody rises. Tottenham, Enfield, et al.

No theatrics on my part. The new world order in all its embrionic glory.

Embrace it, or mock it, your choice folks.

It begins.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Oh, shut up you ars3hole.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
      "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

This literary contribution has made the thread all the richer. A well balanced and reasoned piece taking into account the historical fact and modern rhetoric. You sir are held in high esteem by me, and no doubt by future visitors to the site. I salute you.

Comment

WHS

Rioting everywhere and you're blubbing over some film.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            WHS

"I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              WHS

Well done MF, well said. "Some film"

Or perhaps the whole point of the post. Jeez you yanks are thick.

Eclipsed only by Incognito and Clippy. I think Incognito is a sweaty so should naturally be creaming his pants at the news.

Comment

Foreign families in this country are not a new idea. Racism is
                Eh? Gee, them olden times when there was no racism must have been great. Funny though, it's not the impression one gets from history books.

PS From rambling nature of this post methinks you had a few large vodkas while watching it. Thats ok. I like to get in touch with my sensitive inner self like that too.
                Last edited by xoggoth; 8 August 2011, 21:54.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                  Eh? Gee, them olden times when there was no racism must have been great. Funny though, it's not the impression one gets from history books.
                  Xog, get with the progam man. Racism is soooooooo last century. Now we have political correctness.

To illustrate my point for the contrary among you :

We have Indian families (for example) who have lived here for generations and their members are held in such high esteem as to be Mayor, MP etc.

Whereas families just off the boat are held in contempt, even before they can show their worth.

Fear of being politically incorrect constrains us.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post

PS From rambling nature of this post methinks you had a few large vodkas while watching it. Thats ok. I like to get in touch with my sensitive inner self like that too.

Comment

Working...
                    X