• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK's "brain loss" = 200K people

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK's "brain loss" = 200K people

http://www.contact-centres.com/1105_...rain_drain.htm

In a new trend in brain drain from Britain, thousands of British
    graduates were travelling to work in Indian contact centres, sparking
    worries among economy managers.

A World Bank report stated that Britain has lost more skilled workers
    than any country, sparking worries among economy managers. Last week, a
    survey revealed that British graduates were prepared to fill as many as
    16000 jobs in Indian contact centres by 2009.

Several Indian and British contact centre companies recruit British
    graduates from regions that have a large Asian population. Their
    British accents help them interact with British customers while working
    in contact centres in India.

For British Asians, working in Indian call centres has a double
    attraction - they get a job, and one that helps them connect with their
    roots. Many find the experience rewarding.

A recent report said a Scottish history graduate quit his £21,000 a
    year job for Sky Television to work in an Indian call centre. Several
    major British companies, including banks, have outsourced work to
    companies in Mumbai, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Gurgaon and Delhi, among
    others.

According to the World Bank, more than 1.44 million graduates have left
    the UK to look for more highly paid jobs in countries such as the
    United States, Canada and Australia. That outweighs 1.26 million
    immigrant graduates in the UK, leaving a net "brain loss" of some
    200,000 people.

Yeah, but they're only ex-poly grads anyway, so no great loss.

I'll get me coat
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by markinbrussels
      http://www.contact-centres.com/1105_...rain_drain.htm

In a new trend in brain drain from Britain, thousands of British
      graduates were travelling to work in Indian contact centres, sparking
      worries among economy managers.

A World Bank report stated that Britain has lost more skilled workers
      than any country, sparking worries among economy managers. Last week, a
      survey revealed that British graduates were prepared to fill as many as
      16000 jobs in Indian contact centres by 2009.
      I begin by this point to infer that the article is talking specifically about British graduates of Indian origin. If this is so, I would take that as being a major point of the article. Strange that it neglected to say so.....

Comment

Originally posted by expat
        I begin by this point to infer that the article is talking specifically about British graduates of Indian origin. If this is so, I would take that as being a major point of the article. Strange that it neglected to say so.....
        It did say so...

For British Asians, working in Indian call centres has a double
        attraction - they get a job, and one that helps them connect with their
        roots. Many find the experience rewarding.

Comment

Originally posted by expat
          So it is probably a net gain as their Indians are almost certainly better educated than our Indians
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Well what about this then.........

Young exiles embrace the Anglo model

15,000 French people arrive in Britain per year, tempted by UK job market

Ashley Seager and Angela Balakrishnan
            Saturday April 8, 2006
            The Guardian

While the French continue to stage mass protests against changes to their employment laws, hundreds of thousands of their compatriots have voted with their feet and come to work in Britain.
            Figures now suggest that - contrary to popular perception - there may be more French people living in Britain than there are Brits in France. Since 1999, about 15,000 French people have moved to Britain each year while 10,000 British have gone the other way, according to figures from the UK's Office for National Statistics.

About two-thirds of the French moving to Britain are under 36, and three-quarters are single. They are often qualified mathematicians or engineers. Many head for well-paid work in London. "Salaries are higher than in France and can grow quickly," said Samuel Remy, a French man working for the travel group Travco. "Pay rises every year and bonuses depending on your performance are generally the case. This has to be set against the cost of living of London - above all housing and transport."
            France's youth unemployment rate is around 23%, rising to 50% in young immigrant communities - a crucial factor behind last year's riots in many areas. France's overall unemployment rate tops 9%, compared with 5% in the UK.

Besides this, the British economy has been reasonably successful at creating new jobs - 2.4 million of them since 1997 - and jobs in the UK tend to be better paid. Wages have been rising strongly in Britain for the past decade, but have stagnated in France.
            The French consulate in London thinks there may be 300,000 to 400,000 French living in Britain today. The Foreign Office estimates that 300,000 British are living permanently in France, excluding second-home owners.

But while Brits in France are widely dispersed across the country, about 70% of French in the UK are in Greater London, according to the French consulate. Of those, about half work in financial services in the City.

... as only 400,000 people work in the City that means 150,000 of them are French

Comment

Originally posted by Hart-floot
              ... as only 400,000 people work in the City that means 150,000 of them are French
              Are the rest Russian?, as that is all I seem to hear these days in London...

Comment

Working...
              X