• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VAT registration and accountant situation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VAT registration and accountant situation

Hi All

I have got an accountant that I want to use, but since my contract starts at the end of this month, I want to start using him start of September, so was wondering whether its a good idea to start doing things like VAT registration by myself. I am new to this, although the forum has helped a lot as I always come here to read before lifting a finger.

My problem is that since my contract is really kicking off later this month/next month, I don't want to start off with the services of an accountant so soon after all I'm not earning from the service he provides yet. What is the wise thing to do fellow forum members ?

Should I tell him that, help with the form filling and VAT registration but service/payment receipt will officially start in September ?

Also with accountants, does one have to sign a long term contract with them or is it purely pay as you go/monthly basis ?
    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by platforminc; 9 August 2011, 10:45.

Are you serious? Go and get an accountant then you might stand a chance of not screwing something up.

Comment

What are you going to do when you are on the bench? Terminate his services because you are not billing anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by platforminc View Post
        Hi All

I have got an accountant that I want to use, but since my contract starts at the end of this month, I want to start using him start of September, so was wondering whether its a good idea to start doing things like VAT registration by myself. I am new to this, although the forum has helped a lot as I always come here to read before lifting a finger.

My problem is that since my contract is really kicking off later this month/next month, I don't want to start off with the services of an accountant so soon after all I'm not earning from the service he provides yet. What is the wise thing to do fellow forum members ?

Should I tell him that, help with the form filling and VAT registration but service/payment receipt will officially start in September ?

Also with accountants, does one have to sign a long term contract with them or is it purely pay as you go/monthly basis ?
        Thanks in advance.
        I had a similar situation when I started so timed getting an accountant to when I had a signed contract on the table, which was three weeks before contract start. It doesn't take long for the accountant to become fully setup - about two weeks but check with them first as they may have a delay in processing.

The majority of the work is getting the nessisary forms filled in and sent off to your company bank account instituation (to allow them to view you company bank account statements) and HMRC (agent authorisation to act on your behalf - for VAT returns etc. and VAT registration) and getting direct debits setup for paying them.

I'm in a annual contract with my accountant but there may be other per month deals which will end up costing you more from what I have seen.

Comment

Originally posted by redgiant View Post
          I had a similar situation when I started so timed getting an accountant to when I had a signed contract on the table, which was three weeks before contract start. It doesn't take long for the accountant to become fully setup - about two weeks but check with them first as they may have a delay in processing.

The majority of the work is getting the nessisary forms filled in and sent off to your company bank account instituation (to allow them to view you company bank account statements) and HMRC (agent authorisation to act on your behalf - for VAT returns etc. and VAT registration) and getting direct debits setup for paying them.

I'm in a annual contract with my accountant but there may be other per month deals which will end up costing you more from what I have seen.
          Appointment booked with accountant.
          Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by redgiant View Post
            We do not tie our clients into a 12 month contract, if they wish, they can leave and stop using our services at any time they wish.

Quite a few accountants do insist on at least 12 month's fees and some ask for a transfer fee if you wish to move to another accountant.

Alan

Comment

You can register online for VAT yourself - it's actually very easy. However, you will need to have a government gateway login for your company first. If you don't have it yet then it'll take a couple of week all told as there are a number of letters to be received.

HMRC info
              Loopy Loo

Comment

My accountant was 30 days notice. Which is lucky cos he was crap so after two months I ended up giving him 30 days notice.

Jusy a bit of a bummer I gotta pay two accountants for those 30 days now. The old one and the new one to sort out the mess the first one made. :-(

Cheers NixonWilliams who are the new one sorting it all out for me. Recommend them BTW.
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                X