• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

White Riot!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

White Riot!

White riot - I wanna riot
    White riot - a riot of my own

Black people gotta lot a problems
    But they don't mind throwing a brick
    White people go to school
    Where they teach you how to be thick

An' everybody's doing
    Just what they're told to
    An' nobody wants
    To go to jail!

All the power's in the hands
    Of people rich enough to buy it
    While we walk the street
    Too chicken to even try it

Everybody's doing
    Just what they're told to
    Nobody wants
    To go to jail!

Are you taking over
    or are you taking orders?
    Are you going backwards
    Or are you going forwards?
    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Good idea, but will there be tea and biscuits?
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Is quoting song lyrics supposed to tell us something?

It tells me that you think you're much cooler than you really are.

I'm also not very cool, so I choose "Kill the Poor"
      DEAD KENNEDYS LYRICS - Kill The Poor

"Behold the sparkle of champagne
      The crime rate's gone
      Feel free again "

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
        Is quoting song lyrics supposed to tell us something?

It tells me that you think you're much cooler than you really are.
        I'm also not very cool, so I choose "Kill the Poor"
        DEAD KENNEDYS LYRICS - Kill The Poor

"Behold the sparkle of champagne
        The crime rate's gone
        Feel free again "
        Try again, I've never claimed to be cool or even aspired to be. Just a middle aged geek, interested in ancient history
        and reliving some of my youth when I was into The Clash FFS.
        But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Why isn't it in Latin? That's what I want to know!

PS I did 5 hours a week of sodding Latin for 5 years. Beats me why anyone would do it by choice. When people criticise modern education for pointless subjects maybe they should look at the time we wasted on Latin, Greek and RE.

PPS That kill the poor song is great. Hope it's not meant to be ironic.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post

PS I did 5 hours a week of sodding Latin for 5 years. Beats me why anyone would do it by choice. When people criticise modern education for pointless subjects maybe they should look at the time we wasted on Latin, Greek and RE.

Xog,

It’s so I can get more out of my trips to Rome and also to read the authors in the original. I don’t expect anyone else to be interested, it’s just my geeky leisure. If I complete the course I‘ll do a post in Latin for you especially!

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
              Xog,

It’s so I can get more out of my trips to Rome and also to read the authors in the original. I don’t expect anyone else to be interested, it’s just my geeky leisure. If I complete the course I‘ll do a post in Latin for you especially!
              I can see the use of learning a Latin language at school, but wouldn't it be more practical for kids to learn modern Italian, and then if they have academic aspirations to opt for Latin at university?

Comment

I went to an inner London comprehensive and did Latin.

It was useful because at that time the English teacherI had for 3 of my secondary school years had the belief that you didn't teach pupils grammar.

The poor woman who came after her was old school and had to suffer a class where out of 28 kids only 3 of them had an idea of what grammar was.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

the use of learning a Latin language at school
                  What is it exactly? People say it helps to understand the origins of the English language but (even assuming there's any logical purpose in that at all) much of it comes from Saxon and other sources so a far better course would be one on understanding the English language.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

What is it exactly? People say it helps to understand the origins of the English language but (even assuming there's any logical purpose in that at all) much of it comes from Saxon and other sources so a far better course would be one on understanding the English language.
                    Learning one Latin language makes it easier to learn other Latin languages. Other than that, academic rigour innit. But as I say, learning a modern language like Italian would seem more useful to me.

Comment

Working...
                    X