• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How do you manage your Ltd Co Surplus cash?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you manage your Ltd Co Surplus cash?

Hi

I was wondering how do people manager their Limited Co Surplus Cash? With interest rates at historic lows, leaving it sitting in the bank is pretty much throwing it away. Seems the only options I can think are:

a) Buy money market OEICs
    b) Buy high yielding stocks
    c) High yield property?

Anything else? Is there any tax downside that I am forgetting?

Thanks

I really need to look into getting a high interest business deposit account, but like you say, the interest rates are that low it's not worth the bother right now.

There have been talks on here (do a search) of your ltd co looking like an investment company if you start buying stocks. I'm not sure TBH though, i'd prefer not to gamble on the stock market at this time (at least with company money).
    Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyIndianZA View Post
      Hi

I was wondering how do people manager their Limited Co Surplus Cash? With interest rates at historic lows, leaving it sitting in the bank is pretty much throwing it away. Seems the only options I can think are:

a) Buy money market OEICs
      b) Buy high yielding stocks
      c) High yield property?

Anything else? Is there any tax downside that I am forgetting?

Thanks
      There are serious tax implications for c so don't do that.
      b has a risk against it and if you have a lot of spare cash you could end up as an investment company rather than a consultancy.

a also looks like hard work so I go for d) get it into personal accounts or the pension pot as quickly as sensibly possible.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Mine sits in the business account. It is my warchest. I may need quick access to it.
        Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
          Mine sits in the business account. It is my warchest. I may need quick access to it.
          It would if it wasn't for the interest rate equivalent I get from offsetting the mortgage.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

This and Eek's option D) for me but it is really frustrating. No one yet has come up with a plan that allows a decent investment that is worthwhile doing. I think we have had the whole nine yards inc buying wine and collectables but nothing seems worth doing.

ThePuma mentioned ages ago about holding in trust or something (I think that was it) but still couldn't make it work. The fact you get taxed on the profits and still leaves the problem you can't get it out of the company efficiently is just too much for most schemes.

Now if the Govm't came up with a scheme forcing banks to allow us to release the company money to prop up the debt with some better returns and support from HMRC would be interesting... but anyway, back to reality.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Buy gold?

Not sure of the implications if you make tons of money doing this though?
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                It would if it wasn't for the interest rate equivalent I get from offsetting the mortgage.
                WES. +1

Guarenteed return, no tax implications, very low risk (unless your bank goes bust) and money there when you need it.

This is assuming you still have a mortgage of course.
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                  WES. +1

Guarenteed return, no tax implications, very low risk (unless your bank goes bust) and money there when you need it.

What you talking about Willis?

You would need to do one of those Trust deed things and hold the money in your personal account to offset against a mortgage. And I'm not convinced that this has been proven to work?

No bank will allow you to offset a personal mortgage against a company bank account, unless you're a sole trader.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                    WES. +1

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                    What you talking about Willis?

You would need to do one of those Trust deed things and hold the money in your personal account to offset against a mortgage. And I'm not convinced that this has been proven to work?

No bank will allow you to offset a personal mortgage against a company bank account, unless you're a sole trader.
                    I'm talking about taking out of the company and putting it in the offset mortgage, if you follow the thread properly.
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                    X