• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What happens to pension when you return overseas ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happens to pension when you return overseas ?

Hi
    Tried searching for this but found nothing.

I am looking into setting up a pension plan but wondering what happens when I return back overseas ? Are we able to take that money if we are leaving UK permanently ?

On that point ? Are overseas people (on work visa) even allowed to take up a pension plan ?

Thanks

Various options I think but try googling QROPS.

Comment

Originally posted by karun2011 View Post
      Hi
      Tried searching for this but found nothing.

I am looking into setting up a pension plan but wondering what happens when I return back overseas ? Are we able to take that money if we are leaving UK permanently ?

On that point ? Are overseas people (on work visa) even allowed to take up a pension plan ?

Thanks
      Yes, you can pay into a pension.

With some provisos, yes if you leave the UK permanently then you can transfer the funds that have built up into an overseas pension scheme. Look for the term QROPS as previously stated.

EDIT: I should add that overseas schemes often give you more options about what you can do with the money than the UK schemes but there are restrictions placed on them in order to qualify for QROPS.

EDIT2: The biggest gotcha is to be sure that the pension that you are paying into is one that will let you transfer out from.
      Last edited by Gonzo; 11 August 2011, 07:33.

Comment

Working...
      X