• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Could you honestly say you would not have joined in?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could you honestly say you would not have joined in?

How many of us, hand on heart, could say that there is no way we would have joined in the riots?

I am of a certain age now and am fairly confident I would not engage in this kind of behaviour, but I was fairly "colourful" in my youth.

I am not so sure that had this happened around me in my earlier life that I would not have joined in the riots. I do not believe I have ever been a thief and would hope that I would not have joined the looting, but I am not certain.

I am enraged by what I have seen in the last few days and the grumpy old man in me wants to see draconian punishments meted out, but there is a little voice in the back of my head that keeps saying "that's you that is".
    Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
    How many of us, hand on heart, could say that there is no way we would have joined in the riots?
    I can!!!!
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Yes, I can. I would not have joined in.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I bloody well can! What a stupid question.

I was brought up knowing the difference between right and wrong, that stealing and vandalism are wrong. I wasn't brought up thinking the world owes me a bloody living and all I have to do is hold my hand out, if you want money, property and the trappings of a comfortable life you get off your arse and work for it.
        The vegetarian option.

Comment

Well I must say that if it was a looted shop which had trainers or clothes - then no.

But if it was a music shop with a Fender Strat 75 that I had me heart set on - well ....

We can't dance, we don't talk much, we just ball and play
          But then we move like tigers on vaseline
          Well the bitter comes out better on a stolen guitar
          You're the blessed, we're The Spiders From Mars

Comment

Not a stupid question.

I certainly had some pretty disaffected friends who could have been there. If I had been with them when it kicked off, who knows? I'm certain I wouldn't personally have vandalised / looted, but I can imagine a situation where I would have been there alongside those who were.

I think it depends where you grew up / who you hung out with / how much you hated 'the establishment'.

Comment

I wouldn't have joined in, and I believe that my children (between 20 and 26) would not have joined in either.
              Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
                I bloody well can! What a stupid question.

I was brought up knowing the difference between right and wrong, that stealing and vandalism are wrong. I wasn't brought up thinking the world owes me a bloody living and all I have to do is hold my hand out, if you want money, property and the trappings of a comfortable life you get off your arse and work for it.
                WHS
                Bazza gets caught
                Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

I definitely would NOT have joined in.

I might have stood and watched tho rather than getting out the way.
                  It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
                    Not a stupid question.

I certainly had some pretty disaffected friends who could have been there. If I had been with them when it kicked off, who knows? I'm certain I wouldn't personally have vandalised / looted, but I can imagine a situation where I would have been there alongside those who were.

I think it depends where you grew up / who you hung out with / how much you hated 'the establishment'.
                    Bollocks!

Comment

Working...
                    X