• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

This blackberry messaging system?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This blackberry messaging system?

What is it all about?

I read something in the Metro this morning about the hackers who turned over the RIM blogs claimed that anyone in the vicinity of the sent messages would have picked them up so I am assuming that there is some kind of geographical element to the system, dunno though.

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    What is it all about?

I read something in the Metro this morning about the hackers who turned over the RIM blogs claimed that anyone in the vicinity of the sent messages would have picked them up so I am assuming that there is some kind of geographical element to the system, dunno though.
    Not used BBM in a while but I thought it was a device to device message, you couldn't just broadcast it to anyone nearby
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

What is it all about?

Like a closed encrypted SMS system. Uses Blackberry server hosted back at RIM HQ. Think something like skype chat. It costs the kids nothing because it comes out of the data plan.
      "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Originally posted by Incognito View Post
        Like a closed encrypted SMS system. Uses Blackberry server hosted back at RIM HQ. Think something like skype chat. It costs the kids nothing because it comes out of the data plan.
        That's how I understand it too. It seems to be the main thing that makes Blackberry's popular at the moment, which is why Apple have copied it. Seems a bit odd to me as I can't remember the last time I had to pay for a text message, they're usually included now aren't they?

Comment

What is it all about?

Nope has to be sent to a specific recipient( or multiple recipients but they still have to be specified)

The hackers claim was that anyone in the vicinity who was in possesion of a blackberry or who recived a suspect message might get picked up on suss regardless of whether they were involved or not. I would guess that RIM and the Police will be more interested in identifying the senders of mesages as the ones responcible for inciting the unrest than everyone who recieved a message.

If it was me I'd be filtering messages for suspicous content, identifying the sender, and if the resource is there checking recipients reponses if any, then going out and nicking them. If you can cross reference position at the time of the message with CCTV footage from the same area, so much the better.

Once they;ve been nicked you can check their message history direct on the device as well.
          Last edited by DaveB; 11 August 2011, 11:12.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
            The hackers claim was that anyone in the vicinity who was in possesion of a blackberry or who recived a suspect message might get picked up on suss regardless of whether they were involved or not.
            B0ll0x claim as you'd expect from people who have neither understanding of the law nor respect for it.

Comment

Seems dodgy that this 'anonymous' group are trying to restrict access to RM's logs.

If they really are worried about blanket prosecution without checking the evidence of the actual message content, instead focusing on the location the message was sent from (determined much the same way they determine mobile call locations), I expect journos and TV crew possessing blackberries who were in the vicinity would soon complain through their media channels if they were included in such an indiscriminate catch.

Could it be this 'anonymous' group are worried as they too use blackberries for field comms so don't want their secrets uncovered?
              Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
              Feist - I Feel It All
              Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
                Seems a bit odd to me as I can't remember the last time I had to pay for a text message, they're usually included now aren't they?
                In the UK, yes, but the mobile operators' business model is different in other countries - for example, in the US you pay to receive calls (or at least you used to). AFAIK text messages can be quite pricey in the US.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
                  That's how I understand it too. It seems to be the main thing that makes Blackberry's popular at the moment, which is why Apple have copied it. Seems a bit odd to me as I can't remember the last time I had to pay for a text message, they're usually included now aren't they?
                  If you have ever used BBM you would know that texting is now becoming obsolete. The features you get with BBM make texting look like it was from the stone ages. If you have ever used whatsap then you will have some idea of what BBM is although BBM is many levels ahead of whatsap. Add to that what the previous posted said regarding international messages and you realise how powerful a communication tool it is.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
                    If you have ever used BBM you would know that texting is now becoming obsolete. The features you get with BBM make texting look like it was from the stone ages. If you have ever used whatsap then you will have some idea of what BBM is although BBM is many levels ahead of whatsap. Add to that what the previous posted said regarding international messages and you realise how powerful a communication tool it is.
                    WHS, plus the fact that there is no guarantee that an SMS will get to its recipient. The chances are that it will but there's no guarantee.

Comment

Working...
                    X