• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ms access 2010

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ms access 2010

Have been asked to do some work in 2010.

this includes a migration from 2003

Does anyone know of any issues with 2010
    or

migration issues.

the migration is reasonably high level stuff, no queries or macros, 90%VBA

TIA

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    Have been asked to do some work in 2010.

this includes a migration from 2003

Does anyone know of any issues with 2010
    or

migration issues.

the migration is reasonably high level stuff, no queries or macros, 90%VBA

TIA

The security model has changed and things that were implied in 2003 now need to be explicitly stated.

The big one from memory is that you need to explicitly reference the DAO object model.

Apart from that its the slog of going through that vba code and trying to get it to compile.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      The security model has changed and things that were implied in 2003 now need to be explicitly stated.

The big one from memory is that you need to explicitly reference the DAO object model.

Apart from that its the slog of going through that vba code and trying to get it to compile.
      dao.recordset type of thing ?

they are using mde rather than the security model

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)

Comment

I haven't had any issues with DAO as its the default in 2010 anyway. You can untick the ADO library if it gets added in and you're not using it.

Only other issue is that the forms layout can get messed up sometimes but it usually pretty easy to sort out.

Then you have deal with the whole new Ribbon. and if you had a custom menu and toolbar before, they get ignored. I haven't been able yet to figure out how to customise that.

Other than that, easy peasy.
        McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
        Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
          I haven't had any issues with DAO as its the default in 2010 anyway. You can untick the ADO library if it gets added in and you're not using it.

Only other issue is that the forms layout can get messed up sometimes but it usually pretty easy to sort out.

Then you have deal with the whole new Ribbon. and if you had a custom menu and toolbar before, they get ignored. I haven't been able yet to figure out how to customise that.

Other than that, easy peasy.
          forms are all built in code

we dont need ado

but the original dev was a custom menu fiend from hell

kerchinnnnggggg - rewrite
          (\__/)
          (>'.'<)

Comment

forms are all built in code

we dont need ado

but the original dev was a custom menu fiend from hell

kerchinnnnggggg - rewrite
            Want to learn SQL server, SRSS and c#? It looks like the perfect time to suggest a rewrite to a modern n-tier custom solution with the ability to have reports sat in their inbox first thing every morning.

Comment

Want to learn SQL server, SRSS and c#? It looks like the perfect time to suggest a rewrite to a modern n-tier custom solution with the ability to have reports sat in their inbox first thing every morning.
              Quick thread hijack...

I've used SSIS loads and I'm just starting to look at SSRS. If I write a report, how do I actually run it in anger?
              ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Its a software house, they are not interested in the right thing to do, just the most profitable

its a bit sad really. but as a contractor - I just have to suck it up
                (\__/)
                (>'.'<)

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                  Quick thread hijack...

I've used SSIS loads and I'm just starting to look at SSRS. If I write a report, how do I actually run it in anger?
                  You need a proper version of Sql server and IIS on the same machine. Beginning SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services Part 1 is the first google search that seems to give a reasonable explanation of the steps.

Its a software house, they are not interested in the right thing to do, just the most profitable

its a bit sad really. but as a contractor - I just have to suck it up
                  As its a software house its still an option. You just need to convince the end client its worth the extra £x,000 or that they'll be able to sell it to other clients.
                  Last edited by eek; 13 August 2011, 13:48.

Comment

Recently done some work with SSRS on SQL Server 2008. IIS is no longer a requirement, it's all fairly easy to set up if you are using standard windows authentication. We just ran the setup & installed SSRS in integrated mode.

Once the URLs are configured via the configuration tool, a Report Manager website is set up. This is where you can upload the reports you create using visual studio, business intelligence studio or the report builder tool that is available on the report manager website.

Configuring it to work over the internet with forms authentication was a bit of a pain in the backside however.

Comment

Working...
                    X