• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is Reading really that bad?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Reading really that bad?

Message back from agent

This role is in Reading, Berkshire. Are you sure you want to work there?
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

It's too poor - no riots to loot stuff there apparently, or maybe I have just not read about them yet...

Comment

Lived there 1990 to 1995, not too bad then, even in a 'multicultural' area. Good shops and transport links, not especially high crime (Mrs. W left the front door open on a couple of mornings on the way to work - nothing went missing) and good curry houses.

Never be tempted to go to High Wycombe or Slough, though.
      The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
        Lived there 1990 to 1995, not too bad then, even in a 'multicultural' area. Good shops and transport links, not especially high crime (Mrs. W left the front door open on a couple of mornings on the way to work - nothing went missing) and good curry houses.

WWS+1

Horrible, Horrible, Horrible place. Betjeman was right.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
          Message back from agent

it's pretty grim, think basingstoke, bracknell, woking, slough..
          sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice - Asimov (sort of)

there is no art in a factory, not even in an art factory - Mixerman

everyone is stupid some of the time - trad.

Comment

Problem with Reading is parking and traffic congestion.

Also most of the business parks are away from the town centre which means you can't go shopping.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Reading

Not as bad as Croydon, but nearly.

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post

Are you talking about working or living? Living in Slough is awful but working there is fine.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                  WWS+1

Horrible, Horrible, Horrible place. Betjeman was right.
                  Slough only has a poem written about it. Billingham has a whole book written about it (its the basis of Huxley's Brave New World).

The really big problem all over that area is traffic (oh and Thames Valley Police's love of speed cameras).
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by JamJarST View Post
                    Are you talking about working or living? Living in Slough is awful but working there is fine.
                    Working there is pretty grim too... although when I was there I did have the use of the underground car park under the office so didn't have to spend too much time abosrbing the multitude of cultures.
                    Slough definitely has the worst tescos I have ever been in though. It constantly feels dirty and looted

For the record I stayed in Windsor when I was there. Only 10 minutes drive away but feels like another country!
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                    X