• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accounting Period

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accounting Period

Hi All,

Probably a silly question...

My accounting period end date is currently 31/07/2012 because I incorporated my ltd company in July this year.

I want to align my accounting period with the tax year, I know I have to fill out an AA01 form. However which date do I choose for my FYE? March/April 2012 or extend to March/April 2013, or does it even matter which?

Thanks

Best to shorten your accounting period to 05 Apr 2012.

It is possible to extend an accounting period, but only up to 18 months from the start of the current accounting period. So if you formed your company on 15 July 2011, you would only be able to extend the company accounting period to 14 Jan 2013.

Business link also have handy info on this at Accounting reference dates | Business Link
    2012 CUK Reader Awards - '...Capital City Accountancy, all of whom were outside the top three yet still won compliments from CUK readers for their services' - well, its not an award, but we'll take it! - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
    2011 CUK Reader Awards - Top 3 - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
    || Check us out at: http://www.linkedin.com/company/capi...ccountancy-ltd

Comment

Originally posted by GregCapitalCity View Post
      Best to shorten your accounting period to 05 Apr 2012.
      I'd recommend shortening to 31/03/2012 (made mistake at doing it 5 April, no benefit at all)

Comment

Originally posted by malster View Post
        Hi All,

Probably a silly question...

My accounting period end date is currently 31/07/2012 because I incorporated my ltd company in July this year.

I want to align my accounting period with the tax year, I know I have to fill out an AA01 form. However which date do I choose for my FYE? March/April 2012 or extend to March/April 2013, or does it even matter which?

Thanks
        WHY?
        "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

I'd agree with aTW. Not entirely sure but think you have to fill out a CT return and do the accounts to support it for each 12 months if the accounting period is longer, so for March/April 2013 you would still need to fill in a ghastly online form for year ending july 2012 and then another for the 9 months ending March 2013.

Tax year for companies best aligned with fiscal year, 1st April-30th March which saves having to apportion various rates over different years when calculating CT. Don't think there are any other good reasons.
          Last edited by xoggoth; 12 August 2011, 08:46.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
          X