• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Long haul flights

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long haul flights

Currently looking at long haul flights from Zurich and as Swiss seam to control the prices, what would a contractor do?

Pay the over-priced 5K+ business class ticket from Zurich
    Go economy
    Go Business class via another country

I miss London air fares.
    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    Currently looking at long haul flights from Zurich and as Swiss seam to control the prices, what would a contractor do?

Go economy

I miss London air fares.
    If you're flying West, connect in London with BA, if going South Go via Italy or Spain, East via Germany.
    "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Go economy

I miss London air fares.

I thought all you Swiss based contractors were minted?
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

What is the situation with client paying. Is this reclaimable or do you expect to be paying this?

If you pay it out of your own company then economy everytime for me. I am not paying business class rates just for a bit of extra comfort. It comes straight out of my pocket and I can do better things with the 100's and over 1000's of pounds more. Get a travelling cusion and a mobile device packed with films and suffer it. Better still get some Zopiclone sleeping tables and sleep the entire flight.

If the client is paying then I would ask what his H&S policy is. They are liable if they force you to take cattle class and you die of DVT I believe. My last two clients had a policy of business class for any single flight over 6 hours.

If the the client is paying and they have no policy on this I would use my judgement but err on the side of caution. If all perms do same flight in economy and it business is more expensive then I would go economy as I don't mind it that much, not enough to make myself a target.

Depends on the price though. I went to Russia economy once and my colleague managed to find a business class flight that was only 200 quid more.

I hope that is what you were asking
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post

I thought all you Swiss based contractors were minted?
          Minted yes, but 5K+ for 2 nights, I am thinking how many nights I would have in a hotel when I land for that
          Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            What is the situation with client paying. Is this reclaimable or do you expect to be paying this?

If you pay it out of your own company then economy everytime for me. I am not paying business class rates just for a bit of extra comfort. It comes straight out of my pocket and I can do better things with the 100's and over 1000's of pounds more. Get a travelling cusion and a mobile device packed with films and suffer it. Better still get some Zopiclone sleeping tables and sleep the entire flight.

If the client is paying then I would ask what his H&S policy is. They are liable if they force you to take cattle class and you die of DVT I believe. My last two clients had a policy of business class for any single flight over 6 hours.

If the the client is paying and they have no policy on this I would use my judgement but err on the side of caution. If all perms do same flight in economy and it business is more expensive then I would go economy as I don't mind it that much, not enough to make myself a target.

Depends on the price though. I went to Russia economy once and my colleague managed to find a business class flight that was only 200 quid more.

I hope that is what you were asking
            I am paying, this is my get out of Europe for the winter trip.
            Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

I am paying, this is my get out of Europe for the winter trip.
              See you!

Comment

Go economy

I miss London air fares.
                Where to?
                I am a bit puzzled because I have been using Swiss via Zurich as a hub because they have offered the cheapest prices in the UK… Just remembered, there is a special page on the Swiss and Austrian Air website for cheap fares which is not obvious. BTW, Zurich is a crap hub with all the works going on at the moment.
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                  See you!
                  I'll be back
                  Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

I'll be back
                    A lot can happen in six months.

Comment

Working...
                    X