• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

WiFi/GPRS/3G solution in other countries.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WiFi/GPRS/3G solution in other countries.

The Vodafone solution in the other thread looks good for the UK (where I don't need it) and occasional use elsewhere. But I really need 1Gb/month. On the Vodafone Data Travel option that'd be £111/m + £2115 usage!

Does anyone know of a similar option for Europe? Country by country if necessary: Holland and Germany preferred.

Sting in the tail: in NL at least that I know about, if you don't have a registered address and a Dutch bank account, you can only get pay-as-you-go mobile service. That rules out even an ordinary subscription phone, never mind 1Gb data.

That's a security measure. It's for your own good.

The following was sent using this card while sitting in the Marriott in Chattanooga but quite often I just use the modem on this and it get charged at the same time.
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt
      Thanks (are you up early or late?), but I know that I could use my Swisscom data card anywhere (at a price), or use a phone as a GPRS modem. I do that all the time to get mail on the Palm.

But what I'm looking for is a high-volume domestic tariff. I'm talking about 2-3 hours Skype a night. It's tough to stay under 1Gb per month at that rate. This option seems to be 9.86€ for 30Mb then 1.90€/Mb. Thats about 1900€/month for my usage!

And it doesn't answer my other question: can you subscribe without a registered German address or bank account? That's rarely up front in the terms and conditions, so I'm looking for someone who has done it (or been told that they can't).

Comment

Clearwire has wifi service that's quite good in Belgium can't remember details but it's a yearly contract thing unfortunately

Comment

Originally posted by Antman
          Clearwire has wifi service that's quite good in Belgium can't remember details but it's a yearly contract thing unfortunately
          I don't mind signing up for a contract since it's likely to be a lot cheaper than the alternative anyway, even if you sign up for 1 year and only use it for 3 months.

The big problem, which I have had before, is simply not being allowed to sign up, for want of residence and a bank account. It's hard to find out about this in advance: you find out when you attempt to sign up and they say No Can Do.

Of course I could sign up in the UK and use it in NL. Estimated cost about 2000€ per month. Is that the best option?

Comment

Working...
          X