• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying house, and day of moving.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying house, and day of moving.

On the day the funds are transferred when buying a house, is there a time limit on the seller moving out and emptying the place? Had a drive past of the house we are buying tomorrow and there is no sign of movement, picture frames still up etc. Was hoping to get keys around midday.

BTW I am off the bench, got a new contract.
    Last edited by russell; 14 August 2011, 20:37.

Originally posted by russell View Post
    On the day the funds are transferred when buying a house, is there a time limit on the seller moving out and emptying the place? Had a drive past of the house we are buying tomorrow and there is no sign of movement, picture frames still up etc. Was hoping to get keys around midday.

The exchange of contracts normally states 2pm but as a contractor you should not need to move out because you would be adding to your portfolio.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

You got concluded missives ? If so, as far as I remember from the 4 or 5 times I've moved house, I expected to get keys as soon as the sellers solicitor confirmed receipt of the money.

Before anyone advises, remember we're talking Scottish law here. The transfer date is part of the contract and is normally part of the 'offer'.

If there has been acceptance of the offer, in writing, with the transfer date included and missives concluded by both sides, then I can't see any legal way the seller could refuse you entry.

Where is your new gig ?
      When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
        The exchange of contracts normally states 2pm but as a contractor you should not need to move out because you would be adding to your portfolio.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Normally the process is. Funds get transferred from your solicitors to theirs. Then the solicitor transfers the funds to the seller. Their solicitor will confirm with the estate agent who will then be obliged to give you the keys. Normally you agree a time, but it's normally considered to be 12 (but the funds must clear). This can drag on a little.

Courtesy is to give the house a little clean on the way out as well (but depends on the type of people you're buying from). So remember, you may need to clean the house on the way in if they don't do you a favour.

Now remember, AtW knows feck all about this subject so expect him to be along shortly to offer his advice.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            Normally the process is. Funds get transferred from your solicitors to theirs. Then the solicitor transfers the funds to the seller. Their solicitor will confirm with the estate agent who will then be obliged to give you the keys. Normally you agree a time, but it's normally considered to be 12 (but the funds must clear). This can drag on a little.

Courtesy is to give the house a little clean on the way out as well (but depends on the type of people you're buying from). So remember, you may need to clean the house on the way in if they don't do you a favour.

Now remember, AtW knows feck all about this subject so expect him to be along shortly to offer his advice.
            In Jockland, the money does not usually get transferred to the seller on sale day. The equity won't be transferred to the seller (assuming they haven't used it as a depost) until legal fees (land registry, stamp duty etc),solicitors fees and estate agency fees have been paid. Usually takes about 10-14 days.
            When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

As soon as funds are transferred the house is yours. If they are still on the premises they should be treated as looters and mown down with a gatling gun.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                Here is how it really works:

1) you hand over case with cash to the seller

2) seller selectively checks some £50 banknotes

This is where it gets a tad complicated:

3)

a) cash checks out and you get the keys
                b) seller shoots you dead to get the money
                c) you shoot the seller to get the keys

HTH

Comment

In general the solicitor tells the estate agent and you that the sale has completed and monies have been exchanged. You can then go and pick the keys up. There will be a time stated (usually 12.00 or 14.00) when the property legally becomes yours.

It is good manners to be as helpful as possible to the people moving out of your house, plus leave your house clean and tidy as you would wish to find it.

We moved three months ago and our movers had underestimated the amount of stuff we had to move as well as the incumbent's removal men doing the same thing - so they were trying to move in as we were still trying to move out as both the movers had to do two trips. It's helpful to remember that everyone is in the same boat and trying to get to the same end point - without losing it.
                  Last edited by Lockhouse; 15 August 2011, 07:11.
                  ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Pork Belly
                    As soon as they get the money, I'm sure it won't take the sellers long to tidy up.....

That's why you need to get your buildings ins in place before the cash clears.

Comment

Working...
                    X