• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wales vs England; non sporty types look away

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wales vs England; non sporty types look away

Just thinking, having watched England's latest car crash against Wales, about who Mr Johnson should to leave at home for the World Cup, and there are a few big names on my list;

Matt Banahan; has failed to impress with multiple opportunities. One good break against Scotoland isn't enough. His failure to score from 5 yards out with only one of the smallest men in international rugby to stop him suggested to me he just isn't aggressive enough. Any player would have fancied his chances in that situation, but a 19 stone man was knocked backwards by the guts and aggression of a 12 stone man. Not good enough; he should get down low and hammer into people, but doesn't seem to have the determination to do so. If Banahan had half the aggression of Shane Williams he'd be unstoppable, but he hasn't. Ashton is much better and would almost certainly have scored.

Shontayne Hape; has also had plenty of chances but has not impressed. Lacks flair or the ability to break through. Tuilagi impressed in first match against Wales and deserves a place.

Mike Tindall; pains me to say it but I think he's a few years past his best.

Back row; seeing as they didn't actually turn up it's difficult to assess them, except to say I hope Lewis Moody recovers from injury and that James Haskell is back as quickly as possible.

Other than than, well done Wales for showing that when two teams are evenly matched, the one that wants it most will win.
    Last edited by Mich the Tester; 15 August 2011, 08:27.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Just out of interest, what are your views on Graham Henry?

Was eavesdropping a conversation at another table in the pub last night where a group of Welshmen were arguing that he was the catalyst for the Welsh resurgence from the slough of despondency.

Comment

Originally posted by pacharan View Post
      Just out of interest, what are your views on Graham Henry?

Was eavesdropping a conversation at another table in the pub last night where a group of Welshmen were arguing that he was the catalyst for the Welsh resurgence from the slough of despondency.
      Yep, changed the mentality and approach and has now gone on to bigger and better things.

Comment

England + Rugby World Cup = nothing to worry about.

There have only been six RWCs so far, and England have been in the final three times. Last time round, England lost 36-0 to South Africa in their pool game and still got to the final. Relax.

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
          England + Rugby World Cup = nothing to worry about.

There have only been six RWCs so far, and England have been in the final three times. Last time round, England lost 36-0 to South Africa in their pool game and still got to the final. Relax.
          Umm, no. I see some worrying trends. In the last few years we've seen new players, particularly backs, come into the England setup and make a big impact, only to lose form and go backwards after some time in the England camp. Delon Armitage; looked like England finally had an attacking full back but then seemed to lose his natural instincts and turn to a dull, staid game. Ben Foden, going the same way. Monye and Sackey seem to have disappeared, Banahan just didn't seem to want to win on Saturday. Now the latest bright lights are Chris Ashton and Manu Tuilagi; hopefully they'll perform at the World Cup before they lose whatever special gifts they bring.

Also, England have always had an outstanding back row. In fact, the names of the best England back row players read like a who's who of rugby history. Hill, Dallaglio, Back, Richards, even going as far back as Winterbottom, Uttley, Ripley, Neary et al. Much like Wales used to have a mythical half-back conveyor belt, England has always been renowned for top class back row players. With Croft, Haskell and Moody absent on Saturday I see nobody who'll ever fit in that line of greats.

Bright spot is the front 5; real strength in depth there. I think England will be forced to rely on Wilkinson's boot again if they can't get the backline working and get support from the back row.

Comment

And as a knock on effect, Wales will be even more believing that they have a chance against SA in their opening game .

The fact that our scrum went backwards against the touch rugby sheepshaggers is real cause for concern

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
              And as a knock on effect, Wales will be even more believing that they have a chance against SA in their opening game .

The fact that our scrum went backwards against the touch rugby sheepshaggers is real cause for concern
              England need a huge improvement even to get through the group, facing Argentina and Scotland. Even Georgia and Romania will fancy themselves if they watched Saturday's game.

Comment

I don't like to say these things about top players because I know something about what's involved in trying to reach that standard; I tried like hell and didn't make it. However, if I see a 6'7" 19 stone winger wearing an England shirt (I can't tell you how much I'd have given for that honour) with 5 yards to go to the line running upright into the tackle and being flattened by a man of 12 stone , I have to wonder why he bothered putting in all the training effort because it looks to me like he's lacking pride and doesn't seem to understand what it means to wear the shirt. FFS, in that situation it is all about aggression and the will to win. For just a second, ignore the whole world, get down low, pin back your ears, pump your legs and go for the bloody try line with such deadly aggression that anyone trying to stop you is either coming with you or going to bloody hospital.

Comment

I've only seen the Shane Williams tackle once, but didn't he kind of pull Banahan over towards him, using Banahan's weight to his own advantage, like some kind of Judo move? That's what it looked like to me. Got him off balance and pulled him down. It only just worked, but it was a good tackle.

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
                    I've only seen the Shane Williams tackle once, but didn't he kind of pull Banahan over towards him, using Banahan's weight to his own advantage, like some kind of Judo move? That's what it looked like to me. Got him off balance and pulled him down. It only just worked, but it was a good tackle.
                    Banahan went in high and was not going fast enough.

Comment

Working...
                    X