• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Overpaid by agency? :-)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overpaid by agency? :-)

Now this is a first for me. Usually its the other way round !!!!! Not a huge amount just a day.

Anyone else ever have this?

Keep it and wait till they ask for it back? Then again I guess it might be a bit complicated accounts-wise since invoice total wont match income (although saying that its in euros and invoice total (sterling equiv) never exactly matches what ends up in my sterling account)
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Now this is a first for me. Usually its the other way round !!!!! Not a huge amount just a day.

Anyone else ever have this?

Keep it and wait till they ask for it back? Then again I guess it might be a bit complicated accounts-wise since invoice total wont match income (although saying that its in euros and invoice total (sterling equiv) never exactly matches what ends up in my sterling account)
    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post

I take it that means you'd keep it? It was a serious question by me. Perhaps I'm just too honest!

Comment

I take it that means you'd keep it? It was a serious question by me. Perhaps I'm just too honest!

Seriously, what do YOU think is the correct thing to do here ?
        Last edited by TestMangler; 15 August 2011, 09:41.
        When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Are you a business or a con artist?

Give it back, they'll find out and then you'll look bad for trying to hang on to it.

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
            Dude, you are not being helpful. Give psychocandy the benefit of the doubt before taking the mick.

Psychocandy, personally I would contact the Agency and inform them of the error and arrange to refund the money.

Comment

To be honest, that's what I'm inclined to do. Just checking if I was being dull or something here!

Comment

I have been overpaid my my client in the past too. I credited the money against the next invoice. Have a chat with the agency and see what they would prefer to do.

You can't account for this and so you can't keep it (morally you shouldn't keep it anyway IMHO).
                Loopy Loo

Comment

To be honest, that's what I'm inclined to do. Just checking if I was being dull or something here!
                  Account for it as an overpayment, no problem at all with that. Will show a credit balance in the accounts receivable.

It would be polite to send the customer a remittance advice or statement showing their current account balance since it will look something like:-

30/6 Invoice 10,000 Euro
                  30/7 Invoice 10,000 Euro
                  05/8 Payment Received 10,500 Euro
                  12/8 Statement balance 9,500 Euro

This way in theory they will reduce the next payment to 9500 Euro.

Don't know if you have a euro account but I never did. I wouldn't return the overpayment just ensure they do know about it. Returning the overpayment is likely to end up more difficult given fluctuating exchanges rates etc.

You can't issue a credit, otherwise you will find your AR is all wrong.

Comment

Very simple.
                    Consider a scenario. You go to a local newsagent and pay cash. When he gives back the balance, if he gives an extra pound, what will you do ? Keep it ?

If you will keep it, then in your described situation,don't let the agent know but think of how you will handle the excess in your accounts.

If you will return it, then in your described situation, let the agency know and work out how best to resolve the difference. Make sure you do not loose any money in exchange or bank fee or whatever. It was their mistake, so they have to take the hit. If they refuse to, then charge them an admin fee.

It is generally accepted that keeping other people's money is not moral. Your morals don't have to match the general view. Each on their own. There is no hard and fast rule.
                    Last edited by contractoralan; 15 August 2011, 11:24.

Comment

Working...
                    X