• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Slow motion moral collapse

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slow motion moral collapse

David Cameron is announcing a review of every government policy following last week's riots, to ensure they are bold enough to fix a "broken society".

The prime minister is giving a speech about the need for a social fightback to confront a "slow-motion moral collapse" in society.

Mr Cameron will describe the rioting, looting and arson that spread from London to parts of the East and West Midlands, Merseyside, Bristol, Manchester and Gloucester as "a wake-up call for our country".

"Social problems that have been festering for decades have exploded in our face," he will say.

"Now, just as people wanted criminals robustly confronted on our street, so they want to see these problems taken on and defeated.

"Our security fightback must be matched by a social fightback. We must fight back against the attitudes and assumptions that have brought parts of our society to this shocking state."

He will include children without fathers, schools without discipline and communities without control in a long list of what he believes has gone wrong in parts of the country.
    Do you think he will include in this list the triumph of profiteering over social responsibility that has ruined our railways and utilities? Or the primacy of "caveat emptor", an attitude that has lead to successive scandals related to financial products (endowments, PPI) and arguably with sub-prime mortgages to the brink of disaster.

I have a tip for you Dave, if you want to halt a slow motion moral collapse, start at the top and work down

BBC News - England riots: Cameron orders review of every policy
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Do you think he will include in this list the triumph of profiteering over social responsibility that has ruined our railways and utilities? Or the primacy of "caveat emptor", an attitude that has lead to successive scandals related to financial products (endowments, PPI) and arguably with sub-prime mortgages to the brink of disaster.

I have a tip for you Dave, if you want to halt a slow motion moral collapse, start at the top and work down

BBC News - England riots: Cameron orders review of every policy
    It's all very confusing. First of all it was criminality pure and simple. Any suggestion that there might be factors in society which lead to this was to be brushed aside.

Are we now allowed a discussion on what factors in society have led to this? It will be fun spotting the cretins - they'll be the ones who just go for a single factor.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      It's all very confusing. First of all it was criminality pure and simple. Any suggestion that there might be factors in society which lead to this was to be brushed aside.

Are we now allowed a discussion on what factors in society have led to this? It will be fun spotting the cretins - they'll be the ones who just go for a single factor.
      Like this?

The Krypton Factor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

It's all window dressing and bluster.

Mark my words, we will all be (at best) inconvenienced from whatever measures they introduce. Just in the same way as we are from anti terrorist measures introduced as a response to a terrorist threat.

Comment

Are we now allowed a discussion on what factors in society have led to this?
          Lets start with MP's setting the precedent by helping themselves to tax payers cash... or are we supposed to have forgotten about that?
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Even as a righty I don't totally disagree. Huge problem with expectations of unearned rights at the bottom but equally far too much unmerited wealth and power at the top. If somebody's invention/business/art/sporting ability/whatever brings them in lots of dosh from people who voluntarily pay for it that's ok by me but their wealth lets them rig the systems in their favour.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

A lot of criticism against anti-terrorist measures, but guess what it seems to have worked, where are the terrorist cells now. Just need to focus resources on breaking down the gangs. Building "yoof" centres won´t make any difference, you need policing to break thses gangs up. Lot of cr*p about gangs appearing because of unemployment; these gangs have been around for years, they´re just getting bigger. The guy who got shot was a gangster, carried a gun. Not totally convinced that having another round of regulation on banks is going to make these gangs smaller. "Hey guys they´ve just increased the bonus tax by 5% lets call it a day" - nope sorry I don´t think that´s going to work.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                A lot of criticism against anti-terrorist measures, but guess what it seems to have worked, where are the terrorist cells now. Just need to focus resources on breaking down the gangs. Building "yoof" centres won´t make any difference, you need policing to break thses gangs up. Lot of cr*p about gangs appearing because of unemployment; these gangs have been around for years, they´re just getting bigger. The guy who got shot was a gangster, carried a gun. Not totally convinced that having another round of regulation on banks is going to make these gangs smaller. "Hey guys they´ve just increased the bonus tax by 5% lets call it a day" - nope sorry I don´t think that´s going to work.
                Is that what you think the argument is?

Comment

Is that what you think the argument is?
                  Well listening to some arguments, it´s quite clear that they see all this is caused by a government has now been elected they disagree with, and therefore it´s clear that this new government is so unjust, people will now come out and riot, until they get the government they want. Kind of a self-righteous grandstanding. Whereas the truth is sometimes you need a government to make unpopular decisions, and tackle the misbehaviour.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    Well listening to some arguments, it´s quite clear that they see all this is caused by a government has now been elected they disagree with, and therefore it´s clear that this new government is so unjust, people will now come out and riot, until they get the government they want. Kind of a self-righteous grandstanding. Whereas the truth is sometimes you need a government to make unpopular decisions, and tackle the misbehaviour.
                    But do you think that the leftist argument is that having another round of regulation on banks is going to make these gangs smaller? "Hey guys they´ve just increased the bonus tax by 5% lets call it a day"?

Comment

Working...
                    X