• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

National Service for all 16 years old

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

National Service for all 16 years old

Anyone think Cameron hasn't thought this through.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Would it be national service with a wooden stick or some proper guns?

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      Anyone think Cameron hasn't thought this through.
      I think he has - it's not compulsory so it won't upset people (like me) who would oppose the State stealing your life at every taxpayers (huge) expense, but it is something to appease retired colonel blimps and facists who think National Service is a cure all. Result - no change but a politician appearing to "do something".

Comment

Didn't see National Service mentioned in Dave's rap.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
          I think he has - it's not compulsory so it won't upset people (like me) who would oppose the State stealing your life at every taxpayers (huge) expense, but it is something to appease retired colonel blimps and facists who think National Service is a cure all. Result - no change but a politician appearing to "do something".
          I thought it was compulsary. The Sun is saying so.

All 16 year olds to do a three week non-miltary 'national service' during their 1st summer holiday. Love to see how that's going to work/
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Kill many birds with one stone and make school more disciplined instead.

Comment

Got a link ? Can't see anything on the BBC news site and I'm sure such an announcement would have prominent placing.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                Kill many birds with one stone and make school more disciplined instead.
                Schools can only be as disciplined as the headteacher is allowed to be.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by adubya View Post
                  Got a link ? Can't see anything on the BBC news site and I'm sure such an announcement would have prominent placing.

Found it

Cameron's war on street gangs | The Sun |News

Comment

From Today's Torygraph

Mr Cameron said his national service programme - currently being undertaken by just several thousand youngsters a year - should be a 'rite of passage' for every 16-year-old and would capture the essence of national service.

But his grand plan is not a new measure - he outlined the citizen service when he was elected last year. And Downing Street indicated this afternoon that the scheme would remain voluntary.

Read more: David Cameron UK riots speech: Non-military 'national service' at 16-year-olds across the country | Mail Online

Comment

Working...
                    X