• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Inflation is inflating

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inflation is inflating

UK inflation rises more than expected - Telegraph

Inflation in Britain increased more than expected in July, with consumer prices rising 4.4pc from 4.2pc in June, taking inflation closer to the Bank of England's forecast of 5pc by the end of the year.

Hey, but's that fine, as the BoE are mulling interest rate...........cut!

Will the Bank of England cut interest rates to 0.25pc? - Telegraph

Meanwhile....

Rail fares to jump 8pc as inflation rises - Telegraph

But at least those in massive debt can have a good laugh....

Bigger house anyone?

AtW, what about you?

Going to refuel today, the prices probably above £10 per liter by now

Comment

I predict the price of a basic loaf of bread to exceed £5 next week.

I scratch my head about rail fares..when I read
      The rises are part of the government's agenda to reduce the cost to the taxpayer of running the rail network.
      In theory almost all passengers on rail are tax payers. So this sounds a bit like newdoublespeak to me.
      McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
      Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

The problem is that wages/rates/salaries or income as a whole is not increasing. In fact, people are losing their jobs. And so, the standard of living in (previously Great) Britain is falling faster than it has at any time since the 70s, with static or falling income doing battle against escalating costs.

It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the essentials increasing in cost - such as food, energy, petrol.

The economic swing to the East is happening far quicker than anyone imagined.

And you might mention leveraged debt as a good thing in this climate, but only if you're on the old trackers.

Comment

And, oh yeah, all of this was created by QE because the govt. was afraid of deflation. And what we have now is a stagnant economy with high-inflation, genius!

All we have to do next is rename ourselves Lesser Japan and job done really.
          McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
          Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

BBC News - Npower to increase gas and electricity prices by 15.7% and electricity prices by 7.2% from 1 October, it has announced.

By less than the real rate of inflation then.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
              By less than the real rate of inflation then.
              Seems the gas/leccy mob are increasing prices every few months, so their increases overall probably do exceed the real inflation rate.
              Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
              Feist - I Feel It All
              Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Working...
              X