• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Looter pwned

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looter pwned

"So during the London riots I return home the next morning to find my flat ransacked and my Macbook Pro laptop stolen!
    Police showed up, took a report and dusted for prints, performed typical forensics... One thing they did not expect was that I had installed the amazing open source tracking software from http://preyproject.com/"

A hacker with a Mac?
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      A hacker with a Mac?

Also a windows laptop, and a debian laptop.
      SUFTUM

May life give you what you need, rather than what you want....

Comment

So why was his laptop not password protected?

Comment

Originally posted by crack_ho View Post
          So why was his laptop not password protected?
          It was, the looter just created another account.
          Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
            It was, the looter just created another account.
            WAPS

Physical access beats all.
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Some muppet installing software he found on the internet and then using it for its intended purpose does not a hacker make.

Comment

ok it's obvious he's not a hacker (macker more like) but what justice anyway!! would love to be able to do something like that, I would have had some fun with his facebook/email contact list first though, I'd have logged in and told all his freinds/family that he was one of the looters, change is password and repeat for all other sites he belongs to, in fact I'd continue to mess with his accounts as an act of ongoing revenge....
                sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice - Asimov (sort of)

there is no art in a factory, not even in an art factory - Mixerman

everyone is stupid some of the time - trad.

Comment

Originally posted by 2BIT View Post
                  ok it's obvious he's not a hacker (macker more like) but what justice anyway!! would love to be able to do something like that, I would have had some fun with his facebook/email contact list first though, I'd have logged in and told all his freinds/family that he was one of the looters, change is password and repeat for all other sites he belongs to, in fact I'd continue to mess with his accounts as an act of ongoing revenge....
                  Bad karma, just get on with your life.
                  Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
                    Bad karma, just get on with your life.
                    No such thing as Karma....
                    sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice - Asimov (sort of)

there is no art in a factory, not even in an art factory - Mixerman

everyone is stupid some of the time - trad.

Comment

Working...
                    X