• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

High earners

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High earners

High earners increase their use of overdrafts

A third of high-income families now rely on overdrafts of more than £1,000, compared with 15pc in 2008.

According to a three-year survey from Experian, the information services company, 52pc of these families regularly borrow money using their overdrafts. This results in higher repayments, as rates of interest on overdrafts tend to be higher than on other credit products.

Peter Turner, the managing director of Experian Interactive, said: “Families often rely on their overdraft to get by, but that is not always the best option. Many of us choose to borrow, but it’s where you borrow from that makes all the difference.”

Personal loans are often a cheaper way of borrowing than overdrafts.

Forty-seven per cent of adults have applied for additional credit in the past two years without properly researching the best rates, with some borrowing from sources which charge relatively high interest rates, the report found. This may result in adding to their financial pressures, running the risk of missed repayments and ultimately, a poor credit history.

So how can we be sure that we make the right decision? Learn to manage our credit reports properly with a service such as Credit Expert, according to Peter: “The current financial climate is tougher than ever and seeing your credit report could help families manage their credit better, as well as helping them plan for their financial futures”.

Source: High earners increase their use of overdrafts - Telegraph

Define high earner.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      Define high earner.
      > low earner
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

> low earner > medium earner < sasguru

Comment

I know my place.
          +50 Xeno Geek Points
          Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
          As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

I accidentally exceeded my overdraft the other day. I phoned the bank (first time in years) and I was put through to a very helpful chap who waived the penalty charges and increased my overdraft facility by another grand

For me my overdraft facility is a useful and necessary buffer for the monies that come and go in my account. I'm not sure I 'rely' on it as such, but it is certainly very useful. One thing I did notice was that I was clearly given some form of preferential treatment when I phoned my bank.

There are benefits to being a contractor
            Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
              I accidentally exceeded my overdraft the other day. I phoned the bank (first time in years) and I was put through to a very helpful chap who waived the penalty charges and increased my overdraft facility by another grand

Originally posted by swamp View Post
              There are benefits to being a contractor

Comment

I depend on my overdraft. I settle it every six months or so and start out again with the best of intentions but I'm soon overtaken by events and find myself spending more money than what's in my current account.
                ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                  I depend on my overdraft. I settle it every six months or so and start out again with the best of intentions but I'm soon overtaken by events and find myself spending more money than what's in my current account.
                  Isn't an overdraft something you associate with permies or pikeys???
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    Isn't an overdraft something you associate with permies or pikeys???
                    Not when it's £100,000.
                    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Working...
                    X