• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Facebook rioters get 4 years

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Facebook rioters get 4 years

Heard today that two people who tried to organise a riot on Facebook have been sent to prison for 4 years.

As usual the liberals with no back bone are having a moan that the sentences are out of proportion.

What we we should be moaning about is that the other crooks are serving too little time behind bars.

Thankfully the judges are listening to the people this time.
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

BBC News - Some England riot sentences 'too severe'

Being a liberal and apologist for this behaviour should be an automatic 6'months sentence at her majestys pleasure.

The Facebook two will obviously appeal, let's see how they and others get on later in the year where the appeals
    court will no doubt cut the sentences and
    pay out compensation.

<placeholder>
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
      Heard today that two people who tried to organise a riot on Facebook have been sent to prison for 4 years.
      I am certainly no bleeding heart liberal, but even I'm thinking - crickey that's a bit steep. No riot actually occured.

This will get reduced on appeal. But even if it's reduced to 12-24 months, I think it will still send a clear message that there are consequences to your actions. You can't act on Facebook, Twitter and BBM with complete impunity.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        the appeals court will no doubt cut the sentences and pay out compensation.
        I doubt many will get compensation (although I wouldn't bet my mortgage on that - actually I would, since I don't have a mortgage - you get the point).

Firstly, they could only claim compensation if they actually served longer than the reduced amount, something that would only be applicable to short sentances.

But even if you are acquitted on appeal, or have your conviction overturned, you don't automatically get compensation.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
          I doubt many will get compensation (although I wouldn't bet my mortgage on that - actually I would, since I don't have a mortgage - you get the point).

Firstly, they could only claim compensation if they actually served longer than the reduced amount, something that would only be applicable to short sentances.

But even if you are acquitted on appeal, or have your conviction overturned, you don't automatically get compensation.
          And if you do get compensation, you have to pay the prison service for the cost of your overstay.

Comment

Originally posted by Waldorf View Post

As usual the liberals with no back bone are having a moan that the sentences are out of proportion.

What we we should be moaning about is that the other crooks are serving too little time behind bars.

Thankfully the judges are listening to the people this time.
            it is steep imo, not the length of sentence just in the context other sentences - for example i'm pretty sure the guy who killed baby p got 4 years... to equate the two as worthy of the same punishment beggars belief - obviously the baby p killer should have got life
            sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice - Asimov (sort of)

there is no art in a factory, not even in an art factory - Mixerman

everyone is stupid some of the time - trad.

Comment

Originally posted by 2BIT View Post
              it is steep imo, not the length of sentence just in the context other sentences - for example i'm pretty sure the guy who killed baby p got 4 years... to equate the two as worthy of the same punishment beggars belief - obviously the baby p killer should have got life
              What a completely pointless comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                It is, but you could compare it to some of the sentences handed down to other rioters and lloters and some people caught with looted items are getting less than these two mongs who actually failed to riot.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                  glad you think so...
                  sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice - Asimov (sort of)

there is no art in a factory, not even in an art factory - Mixerman

everyone is stupid some of the time - trad.

Comment

Originally posted by 2BIT View Post
                    glad you think so...
                    I thought it was a valid comparison. When you do make it, it seems either excessive for the facebook two or lenient for the Baby P asshole.

I had a friend at University who got an idea to turn over a local drugdealer as a get quick rich scheme on the premise that they wouldn't call the police. He got pissed up, armed himself with a bb gun, burst into a bit part dealers house, tied them up, threatened to kill them, stole £50 and then fell asleep in a hedge around the corner after they called the police and got nicked.

He got 11,9 and 7 years to run concurrently for kidnap, possession of a firearm and threats to kill. He served 5.5 years.

Sure glad I hadn;t been out drinking with him that day.
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X