• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

(new to contracting) Contracting Hours

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(new to contracting) Contracting Hours

Dear All,

I have won a one year contract with a bank in London. The contract says that I will do 7 hours a day and 35 hours a week.

So now my question: When I was a perm I usually took maximum a 30 minutes lunch break if at all. So for the contract do I still come in at 9.00 and leave around 17.30 (i.e. do about 8 hours a day, but only charge 7 hours?).

Thx

JD

You get paid to do 7 hours work. How you take your lunch and organise your time is up to you and your client as long as you fulfill your responsibility legally.

How about speaking to them to see what they are happy with? Different clients have different approaches to working times and flexibility.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

35 hours for a bank seems excessive.

Most of the contractors on here do 30-32.5 hours /6 to 6.5 hours per day. Sounds like they're taking the piss.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

Most contractors spend 30-32.5 hours on here and do 6 to 6.5 hours of work per week. Sounds like they're taking the piss.
        FTFY
        Proud owner of +5 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          You get paid to do 7 hours work. How you take your lunch and organise your time is up to you and your client as long as you fulfill your responsibility legally.

How about speaking to them to see what they are happy with? Different clients have different approaches to working times and flexibility.
          I just don't want to take advantage of the client and just do 7 hours. When I was a perm the contract said 37.5 hours a week, but I did more without getting paid more. So is it really ok just to 7 hours a day?

Once I start I will ask them. Thank you for the advice.

Cheer

JD

Comment

Find the other contractors in your vacinity/team and see what they are doing and fall into line with that.

Comment

Originally posted by John Doe View Post
              I just don't want to take advantage of the client and just do 7 hours. When I was a perm the contract said 37.5 hours a week, but I did more without getting paid more. So is it really ok just to 7 hours a day?

Cheer

JD
              CLUE: Contractor

Means you work to contract.

Limited hours and time keeping prescribed by contract and client goes towards control for IR35 (look it up).
              Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

Cheer

JD

And that, my friend, is why nobody here is a permie

You are now a business. If you are contracted to do 35 hrs, then you do 35 hrs. In reality you will do more sometimes when required, and less at other times. If you are constantly having to do more than 35 hrs, then they have offered the wrong contract, and should modify, with appropriate pro-rata increase.

And just in case you missed it - STOP THINKING LIKE A PERMIE. This company is not your career. they won't offer promotions and bonuses. You agree a deal, and deliver to it. The end.
                World's Best Martini

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

Most of the contractors on here do 30-32.5 hours /6 to 6.5 hours per day. Sounds like they're taking the piss.
                  Gosh thats a short day - I've always been put off this sector as I thought it would involve long unsociable hours...

Comment

Cheer

JD
                    just wait and see what its like there, I'd do half an hour a day extra when first starting just as i'm often learning a lot but generally keep normal hours after a few weeks (I tend to work with consultants who like to work crazy hours so have to be strict on doing 8 hours a day).... dont worry what other permies do though as they have people to impress and will often stay late
                    sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice - Asimov (sort of)

there is no art in a factory, not even in an art factory - Mixerman

everyone is stupid some of the time - trad.

Comment

Working...
                    X