• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Which Xmas market?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Xmas market?

i was originally planning on taking the kids to Lapland this Xmas/New Year but after shopping around, it was just going to cost silly money for 3 or 4 nights.

Am therefore planning on going for a city break to one of the big Xmas markets, has anyone been to any of them before? Looking around the intraweb, top 10 is listed as:

1. Cologne Christmas Markets
    2. Vienna Christmas Market
    3. Nuremberg Christmas Market
    4. Dresden Christmas Market
    5. Brussels Christmas Market
    6. Munich Christmas Market
    7. Prague Christmas Markets
    8. Tallinn Christmas Market
    9. Berlin Christmas Market
    10. Copenhagen Christmas Market

The missus fancies Cologne and i fancy Copenhagen but we've been to neither so dont know whether they are any good or if there is a better bet? going to go for 3 or 4 days so must be stuff there to keep the kids amused for that amount of time hence choosing a city rather than one of the smaller town ones. Would be good if the place was 'proper' snowy too!

Was in the one in Leeds last year. It was pish
    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Been to Nurnburg and Munich. Enjoyed both but over commercial and tatty in the central areas. Nurnburg probably biggest and best if you want to tick a box. If you do Munich then try some of the smaller squares away from the centre. Rosenheim or RotKreutz platz as examples. Fit Tollwood in too.

Wife said she enjoyed Stuttgart, but I never made that one.

Personally I would try Heidelberg which is not on your list, but is a great place and has a cracking xmas market.
      Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
        Personally I would try Heidelberg which is not on your list, but is a great place and has a cracking xmas market.
        WABS

Plus you might also want to consider Krakow too.
        “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
          Been to Nurnburg and Munich. Enjoyed both but over commercial and tatty in the central areas. Nurnburg probably biggest and best if you want to tick a box. If you do Munich then try some of the smaller squares away from the centre. Rosenheim or RotKreutz platz as examples. Fit Tollwood in too.

Wife said she enjoyed Stuttgart, but I never made that one.

Ta, I'm guessing all those parts of Germany will be much more likely to be snowy at the end of Dec than the UK?

Comment

There is in fact a German Chrstmas Market in Edinnurgh - whcih is rather good - I should know having visited variosu German cities at Xmas - oh and Brussels has a rather good one as well.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
              WABS

Plus you might also want to consider Krakow too.
              Dare I say it but they have a very nice one in the Abbey Churchyard in Bath.

My wife and I always enjoy the Christmas displays at Sanders Garden World, Brent Knoll.

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
                There is in fact a German Chrstmas Market in Edinnurgh - whcih is rather good - I should know having visited variosu German cities at Xmas - oh and Brussels has a rather good one as well.
                You been drinking?
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Copenhagen as a city is small and easily covered in 3 or 4 days. Tivoli Gardens seems to be where everyone goes , especially families ( lots of lights in shapes of things i.e. ships etc ) . The market as such is within Tivoli and not that big. Nice atmosphere in Copenhagen and usually an outdoor ice rink near the city centre.
                  If I was picking a German one I would say Bremen as its mainly all in one place ( the Rathaus platz ) , with some stalls along the river front. There are other tourist things to do as well including historical Schnoor quarter. Bremen Airport is easy tram ride of 20 minutes or so to city centre .
                  In fact you could do two for one as it were by taking a train up to Hamburg as its only an hour away . Trains frequent and wont cost a second mortgage to buy tickets.

Comment

Originally posted by pacharan View Post

My wife and I always enjoy the Christmas displays at Sanders Garden World, Brent Knoll.
                    Thats my neck of the woods.

Cadbury Garden Centre in Yatton used to be the best but Sanders have trumped them 3 or 4 years in a row now.

Have to try the Bath market, thanks.
                    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Working...
                    X