• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Vocal Mic Question (Paginng Cliphead)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vocal Mic Question (Paginng Cliphead)

Clipster,

What kind of mics do you use for live vocals ?

I've been using SM58s for years but my latest one started to sound a bit 'dead'.

Borrowed a Sennheiser 865 and used it at the weekend. Liked the slightly more 'bright' tone but when I checked today, they're pretty cheap.

What do you recommend as a competitor to the SM58 type thing ??
    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Don't really use mics for live vocals much these days preferring condensers for studio recording but the last band I played with used these;

Electro-Voice N/D767a's

Cheaper end of the market but better then SM58's in my opinion.
    Me, me, me...

Comment

Cheers for that. Was a bit worried about the Sennhieser because of its 'cheapness' but liked the sound.

Problem with mics is you can't really tell if you like it until you've done a gig or two with it

You kinda know what you're getting with a 58 but kinda gone off the tone of them.

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
        Cheers for that. Was a bit worried about the Sennhieser because of its 'cheapness' but liked the sound.

Problem with mics is you can't really tell if you like it until you've done a gig or two with it

You kinda know what you're getting with a 58 but kinda gone off the tone of them.
        Yer mic's only as good as the PA when it goes front of house so a crap amp / speaker combo won't do you any favours. Try running a mic EQ flat in a dead room no reverb, if it sounds good then yer on a winner.
        Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
          Yer mic's only as good as the PA when it goes front of house so a crap amp / speaker combo won't do you any favours. Try running a mic EQ flat in a dead room no reverb, if it sounds good then yer on a winner.
          Using a pair of Peavey Hi-Sys 3s and a Soundcraft Spirit. Need to find somewhere that will let me buy two or three mics and take back the ones I don't want

Comment

Using a pair of Peavey Hi-Sys 3s and a Soundcraft Spirit. Need to find somewhere that will let me buy two or three mics and take back the ones I don't want
            I had a Peavey rig at one point and was very happy with it.

I had a good relationship with most of the music shops in Glasgow in days gone by so could get kit on appro to try out at a live gig. Unfortunately they're all gone now and I don't think there's anybody left other than GuitarGuitar and as the name says if you don't want a Les Paul or cheap copy they're not interested.

I don't have any of those mics that you could borrow to try out but I do have a Rode NT3 if you'd like a shot. It's a condenser but great for live work. Needs 48v phantom power though but does take a 9v battery internally if not available.
            Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
              I had a Peavey rig at one point and was very happy with it.

I had a good relationship with most of the music shops in Glasgow in days gone by so could get kit on appro to try out at a live gig. Unfortunately they're all gone now and I don't think there's anybody left other than GuitarGuitar and as the name says if you don't want a Les Paul or cheap copy they're not interested.

I don't have any of those mics that you could borrow to try out but I do have a Rode NT3 if you'd like a shot. It's a condenser but great for live work. Needs 48v phantom power though but does take a 9v battery internally if not available.
              Thanks mate. I used to get stuff on appro out of McCormacks but they've gone to the wall

Got phantom power on my Digitech Vocalist II but think I will use my mate's Sennhieser again this weekend and if I get on OK with it again, I'll get one. Probably being silly, but it was the cheapness that put me off

Comment

Thanks mate. I used to get stuff on appro out of McCormacks but they've gone to the wall

Got phantom power on my Digitech Vocalist II but think I will use my mate's Sennhieser again this weekend and if I get on OK with it again, I'll get one. Probably being silly, but it was the cheapness that put me off
                Check this out, I have RV6's and RV8's in the studio, myriad reviews which prove cheap doesn't always equate to poor quality.
                Me, me, me...

Comment

Turnkey (or whatever they're called now) on Charing Cross Rd have demo mics and rigs you can test sitting alongside their regular stock (and a soundproof room to test in), and when I got a batch of wireless mics & PAs from them for 2 clients they helped with everything from advice, to onsite setup, troubleshooting and replacements.

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
                    Turnkey (or whatever they're called now) on Charing Cross Rd have demo mics and rigs you can test sitting alongside their regular stock (and a soundproof room to test in), and when I got a batch of wireless mics & PAs from them for 2 clients they helped with everything from advice, to onsite setup, troubleshooting and replacements.
                    You should make clear to the brethren that the Charing Cross you mean is not the Charing Cross they'll be thinking.

"I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Working...
                    X