• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Training ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Training ?

Guys

ca you verify that i can calaim back the full cost of courses, i need to get on ITIL training and its over £1000 , clarification please ?

cheers !

Depends on your circumstances. Umbrella or own Ltd?

Comment

My accountant said it was 'allowable' for furthering existing skills but not if the training is for new skills. All training can be claimed as a business expense if you are a Ltd Co, the allowable bit relates to the tax side of things.

Comment

Originally posted by sugsy
        Guys

ca you verify that i can calaim back the full cost of courses, i need to get on ITIL training and its over £1000 , clarification please ?

cheers !
        Is it only for the foundation course?
        I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

And if it's required to carry out your current contract

Comment

Limited company i am.

new skill it is

but needed to do my job.

its the practioners course for service incident management

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck
              My accountant said it was 'allowable' for furthering existing skills but not if the training is for new skills. All training can be claimed as a business expense if you are a Ltd Co, the allowable bit relates to the tax side of things.
              Isn't "the tax side of things" the question? What does it mean to say "you can claim it" if it doesn't mean "... against tax"?

Comment

Originally posted by sugsy
                Limited company i am.
                In or out of IR35? Govt take the view that "if training is needed for the job, then the employer should provide it". So you need to be the employer...

Comment

Just as an aside, the Practitioner's course is of little real world value. Foundation tells you the basics, Manager's proves you can talk about it, a few year's real world experience means you understand it and can apply it. ITIL is a holisitic solution so how can you be an expert in a tenth of it? Your money, of course, but I would go straight to Managers certificate myself.

Anyway, yes, YourCo can pay for any training, however if it is not directly in your line of work you treat it as a BIK on your SA form and pay the tax - it still means you pay a lot less for it. However if you are anything to do with service delivery, support, or change management, anything ITIL-related is clearly in your line of work.

Of course, inside IR35 none of that matters anyway. You're not, are you....
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Malvolio,

Interesting point you make about a BIK in non-work related training. Consider this; I may want my company to diversify so if this is the case this wraps up pretty much any and all training as you can argue it's relevant to the future direction of the company?

Thoughts?

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Working...
                    X