• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Whats the views on rate reductions?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats the views on rate reductions?

10% cuts across the board - if I want to extend it's on 10% less or I'm out the door !

Is this commonplace?

Originally posted by Chaffinch View Post
    10% cuts across the board - if I want to extend it's on 10% less or I'm out the door !

Is this commonplace?

Look at it from a commercial standpoint. If you have work elsewhere that will pay you more then don't extend.

Comment

Or negotiate to get the agency to take some or all of the hit from their margin, we're all in this together after all
      Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Is this commonplace?

It's happened to me twice over the years and on both occasions I've walked.

The way it was done was that all contractors were given 30 days notice. You were then given the option to sign a new contract at any point in that 30 days at a reduced rate (by 10%).

The majority of contractors I knew signed up to the rate reduction but there was always a hard core of long term contractors who would tell them to shove it.

In the end, it's a commercial decision for you and you alone. If you think you can get something better, then tell them where to put it. If you're worried about your immediate future, bend over, lubricate and take it like a man
        When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
          Look at it from a commercial standpoint. If you have work elsewhere that will pay you more then don't extend.
          Yeah, I get that, I guess I need to put a price on working near home !

Just wondered if this was the norm ?

Comment

Is this commonplace?

Yep, it happened in the last financial crisis credit crunchie bar thingy too, but then it was anything from 15% to 25%.

There comes a point where plan B is better.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
              Or negotiate to get the agency to take some or all of the hit from their margin, we're all in this together after all

In most cases like this, it will be a big PSL agency and a big client. The agency will tell you where to go. If they make an exception for one, they'll lose their position. Worth a try I suppose, but not likely to work.
              When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
                In most cases like this, it will be a big PSL agency and a big client. The agency will tell you where to go. If they make an exception for one, they'll lose their position. Worth a try I suppose, but not likely to work.
                Very Perceptive, it is, and they won't !

After all my greasing up to the agent too

Comment

I walk when it happens.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                    I walk when it happens.
                    whs

Although I did at the time offer to negotiate; I was happy to offer ways the client could save money, for example working in an office closer to home or working 4 days of 9 hours to cut my accomodation costs. They (large wbank) were not prepared to negotiate so I walked.
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                    X