• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ferry to Europe

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ferry to Europe

Think of taking the (lpg) car to Europe - Germany probably, no fixed desination yet, possibly Hamburg. I live in Leeds, taking Mrs stek and our little two kids, girls, 13 and 11.

Mistake?? Will the driving kill me if not the incessant 'Are we nearly there yet?'....

I was thinking of doing that the other week, and then I saw the ferry prices.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
      Think of taking the (lpg) car to Europe - Germany probably, no fixed desination yet, possibly Hamburg. I live in Leeds, taking Mrs stek and our little two kids, girls, 13 and 11.

Mistake?? Will the driving kill me if not the incessant 'Are we nearly there yet?'....
      You can't take LPG via the tunnel. Dover Calais is £25 each way on P&O selected sailings throughout the day and night.

Cheap daytrips starting at £25. Day trip to Calais, channel shopping, wine and beer in Calais. Day-tripper.net

Calais to Aachen about 2 hours very fast drive at night.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
        You can't take LPG via the tunnel. Dover Calais is £25 each way on P&O selected sailings throughout the day and night.

Cheap daytrips starting at £25. Day trip to Calais, channel shopping, wine and beer in Calais. Day-tripper.net

Calais to Aachen about 2 hours very fast drive at night.
        Yeah I know about lpg and the tunnel.....

Looking at Harwich - Hook of Holland, overnight with cabin for four (actually 5) and car and all meals, 500-odd quid return. Trouble is whereever we decide to go after that it's a shed load of driving for me, mrs stek can't drive...

Still, my new lpg-powered 3.6 ltr beast is a pleasure to drive so maybe not so bad and fuel is cheap plus we get to see a bit of Holland and other bits of Germany.

Now she want to go to Berlin, spose I could stick her on an ICE while me and the bin lids look for contract possibles for me in Frankfurt/Dusseldorf...

Comment

We've used DFDS from newcastle a few times, to Bergen, Amsterdam and Zeebrügge.

Price has been OK. Found the best way to make the trip work is to avoid the on-board drunken tourists and hit the sack early.

Driving to Berlin from Amsterdam is possible, have done it once with an overnight stop, once you're on the Autobahn just keep the motor wound up around 100mph.

Love my commute to work sometimes, got the fiat 500 up to 115mph the other day.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Overnight crossings are only OK if you don't get sea sick. Don't expect the cabin to have a window.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
              Overnight crossings are only OK if you don't get sea sick. Don't expect the cabin to have a window.
              The quote I got was a deck cabin, dearest non-fancy one! I don't get seasick which is odd cos two mins on the Waltzers and I'm blowing chunks.

Dunno about the mrs and the binlids tho - let's see!

Comment

Don't expect the cabin to have a window.
                Agree never get a steel box. You do get the opportunity to pay for window cabin, it's worth it.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Had one one the old Le Havre - Southampton crossing. 2200hrs crossing to arrive 0600. The weather was bad. Had the ship turned over there would be not chance so I just slept anyway. Arrived at 1500hrs (8 hours late). The chains holding the trailers down had broken off and they were dragging them out the ship sideways.
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                  X