• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MX-5 for daily commute?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MX-5 for daily commute?

Currently doing around 40 miles each way every day, of which around half is motorway, and half is city driving (so no country roads etc). Usually takes around 50-60 mins.

Looking to spend around 5k on a car and tempted to get an MX-5 since I've never owned a two seater convertible and would like to get something fun. Main concern is that it won't be great on the motorway (noise, comfort etc) and I won't really get to harness much of the fun on motorways/in cities.

Any current or ex MX-5 owners care to comment on suitability for this kind of commute, and indeed any other positives/negatives of the car?

If I don't go for the MX-5, the alternative option will most likely be an alfa (either a 147 or the GT).

Lightweight, rear-wheel drive. Come winter time with ice and snow you better work from home!
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

If I was tempted by an MX-5 I'd be more tempted by an early Lotus Elise.

Tidy examples are under 10 grand and will hold it's value better than almost anything of that price. It's a true modern classic.

Also cheaper to run than the uninitiated might think. Averages close to 40mpg (due to lightweight), fast (0-60 in 5.7s or better), S1 is great looking (not so keen on the S2).

I had one in the late 90s for a couple of years as my only car. Like any two seater convertible it has it's downsides. Noisy on the motorway unless you get the hardtop. Only a small boot and a bit of storage behind the seats. Awkward to get out of due to low seats and high sill.

Now I think about it the Elise may make an ideal investment for those looking to move some cash into assetts to hedge inflation.
      Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
      Feist - I Feel It All
      Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
        If I was tempted by an MX-5 I'd be more tempted by an early Lotus Elise.
        That must be about the worst car you could possibly choose for motorway use, or any other regular use for that matter.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          That must be about the worst car you could possibly choose for motorway use, or any other regular use for that matter.
          WHS.

Mate had one, so noisy above 70 mph is makes your ears bleed. Expect to arrive at work with a splitting headache, if you arrive at all (very unreliable, uncomfortable car).

Comment

Originally posted by Torrango View Post
            Currently doing around 40 miles each way every day, of which around half is motorway, and half is city driving (so no country roads etc). Usually takes around 50-60 mins.

Looking to spend around 5k on a car and tempted to get an MX-5 since I've never owned a two seater convertible and would like to get something fun. Main concern is that it won't be great on the motorway (noise, comfort etc) and I won't really get to harness much of the fun on motorways/in cities.

Any current or ex MX-5 owners care to comment on suitability for this kind of commute, and indeed any other positives/negatives of the car?

If I don't go for the MX-5, the alternative option will most likely be an alfa (either a 147 or the GT).
            I have had both an early MX5 Jap import and Alfa 147.

No to both cars for a motorway hack.

MX5 great fun, fantastic on country lanes and about town for getting out and about in evenings and weekends, but scary as fooook on the motorway. You cannot see anything around you and end up stuck in the lorry lane which is not a good place to be. Also very noisy, always misting up and really uncomfortable - backache and legache city. Don't.

Had a 147. The bushes are made of chocolate not rubber. They are cheap for a very good reason. Great engine, when the variator was not whining away, handled good in-between the constand garage visits for new wishbones and power steering racks that kept falling apart.

My current Ford Focus handles a lot better than the 147, but it is missing the soul that the Alfa had - it was more than just a car, and I miss it for that, but loving the reliability of my current car too much to miss it.

What about a Saab 93 convertible if after a good motorway commute that is quirky?

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
              Lightweight, rear-wheel drive. Come winter time with ice and snow you better work from home!
              A few bags of sand in the boot and your sorted.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                Mate had one, so noisy above 70 mph is makes your ears bleed. Expect to arrive at work with a splitting headache, if you arrive at all (very unreliable, uncomfortable car).

Bulltulip! There's no tech to go wrong, apart from the engine. Admittedly the K series in the early ones had a common problem with failed head gaskets, but the improved head liner they fitted to Land Rovers using the same engine means that shouldn't be a problem for cars still in working order today.

As for going over 70 mph. As I said, all soft tops (including the MX-5) will be noisy. Not many motorways at rush hour have an average speed anywhere near 70 anyway.

I agree with you and VectraMan, the Elise is not a realistic contender for pure motorway commuting. A 1 grand tulipbox with comfy seats and decent radio would be a better choice. Plus an Elise for evening/weekend driving.
                Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                Feist - I Feel It All
                Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                  Bulltulip! There's no tech to go wrong, apart from the engine. Admittedly the K series in the early ones had a common problem with failed head gaskets, but the improved head liner they fitted to Land Rovers using the same engine means that shouldn't be a problem for cars still in working order today.

As for going over 70 mph. As I said, all soft tops (including the MX-5) will be noisy. Not many motorways at rush hour have an average speed anywhere near 70 anyway.

I agree with you and VectraMan, the Elise is not a realistic contender for pure motorway commuting. A 1 grand tulipbox with comfy seats and decent radio would be a better choice. Plus an Elise for evening/weekend driving.
                  He had engine problems with the K series engine and lots of niggly faults too. He loved it to bits, but had an old Mondeo Estate for most days, only used the Elise on summer days for commuting.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
                    My current Ford Focus handles a lot better than the 147, but it is missing the soul that the Alfa had
                    I know you are fictional, but this is just utter BS.

Re-phrasing a cars failures as "soul" or "Character" is either you trying to justify the failings to yourself or you are just regurgitating what the sales man told you in order to make you buy a car with massive failings.

Why don't people wake up to reality ad admit that they bought a crap car?
                    "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Working...
                    X