• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What a rip-off

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a rip-off

I bought a torch

Tool Box Aluminium Torch | Poundland

at Poundland yesterday and it doesn't bleedin work.

Battery ✓
    On/Off switch ✓
    LED gubbins at bottom of torch ✗. Inaccessible.
    Improvement seen after shaking and banging unit vigorously ✗. Even that didn't work, how odd.

Luckily I kept the receipt and shall seek reimbursement or a working replacement from the establishment.

[ According to Wiki the ✓ can mean 'wrong', 'error' or 'no' in some countries. If you are one of these odd peoples, substitute ✓ for 'tested and working'.
    Tick (check mark) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ]

I have one of them from poundland, I have to push the glass bit in from time to time as it seems to shift out and lose connection.

Apart from that it's quite a good torch for a pound.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
      I bought a torch

Tool Box Aluminium Torch | Poundland

at Poundland yesterday and it doesn't bleedin work.

Battery ✓
      On/Off switch ✓
      LED gubbins at bottom of torch ✗. Inaccessible.
      Improvement seen after shaking and banging unit vigorously ✗. Even that didn't work, how odd.

Luckily I kept the receipt and shall seek reimbursement or a working replacement from the establishment.

[ According to Wiki the ✓ can mean 'wrong', 'error' or 'no' in some countries. If you are one of these odd peoples, substitute ✓ for 'tested and working'.
      Tick (check mark) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ]
      I got one too. I took it apart and found a design fault. The LED cluster is a force fit from the top but they did not consider the pressure of the batteries and spring pushing it away. A blob of solder (or epoxy resin) on the inside of the torch near the PCB will cure it. BTW, even at £1 it is not good value because there is no pulse circuit to keep the LEDs bright and reduce battery consumption.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
        I have one of them from poundland, I have to push the glass bit in from time to time as it seems to shift out and lose connection.

Apart from that it's quite a good torch for a pound.
        Just tried that, expecting nothing, and it works now! Muchas gracias. I now have a shiny torch and am hopeful that the battery will last ages for camping purposes, because the light output is quite modest for a 3 AAA torch.

Comment

Dear God, are we all shopping in poundland now? How we have fallen.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
            I got one too. I took it apart and found a design fault. The LED cluster is a force fit from the top but they did not consider the pressure of the batteries and spring pushing it away. A blob of solder (or epoxy resin) on the inside of the torch near the PCB will cure it. BTW, even at £1 it is not good value because there is no pulse circuit to keep the LEDs bright and reduce battery consumption.
            Did you get the LED cluster out? I would like a more permanent repair or solution as pushing the glass in doesn't appear to last long. I get about 30 seconds light before the light goes off again. Pulse circuit? Will Google that.

Comment

Dear God, are we all shopping in poundland now? How we have fallen.
              More suitable contractor alternatives:

World's Brightest Flashlight | Uncrate

Forever Flashlight | Uncrate

Lumencraft GatLight V3 Titanium Flashlight | Uncrate
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Just tried that, expecting nothing, and it works now! Muchas gracias. I now have a shiny torch and am hopeful that the battery will last ages for camping purposes, because the light output is quite modest for a 3 AAA torch.
                At last! I have been of use to someone on this forum.

I got mine last year and have not changed the cheap batteries, it is my desk torch for the "where is that wire meant to go in the back of this" missions and has been used quite a lot.

I actually considered getting two and a pair of 1 quid sun glasses, knocking out the glass and attaching them to the arms(?) with rubber bands.

Comment

I actually considered getting two and a pair of 1 quid sun glasses, knocking out the glass and attaching them to the arms(?) with rubber bands.
                  Please post a photo once working.
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Did you get the LED cluster out? I would like a more permanent repair or solution as pushing the glass in doesn't appear to last long. I get about 30 seconds light before the light goes off again. Pulse circuit? Will Google that.
                    The plastic "glass" is just a force fit. A drilled a 1/16" hole to one side and hooked it out.

The best for price LED torch can be bought at Blacks Camping Store. £4.00 at Sale time. It uses a single AAA battery and has a (pulse) switching circuit. The battery lasts for hours.
                    Last edited by Paddy; 21 August 2011, 09:11.
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                    X