• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Avoiding mosquitos whilst on holiday?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Avoiding mosquitos whilst on holiday?

Since I've spent my adult life ensuring I taste of chicken madras with subtle hint of sauvignon blanc I always seem to be a prime target for mosquitos when on holiday. Naturally, I try to avoid this by filling my body with the local spirits in order to blend in with the local flavours but it never works.

Anyone got any tried and proven methods for managing not to get eaten alive by the little buggers?

I've heard vitamin B supplements are supposed to help but since it doesn't come served over crushed ice I'm not sure I can remember to take it.

TIA

Pondy

+ ?

Comment

At risk of stating the obvious / obviously wrong, have you tried spray-on insect repellant?
      As well as keeping away the critters it cools you down nicely on a hot day, and the chemicals in it give you a nice tingling sensation on certain parts of the body..

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
        Since I've spent my adult life ensuring I taste of chicken madras with subtle hint of sauvignon blanc I always seem to be a prime target for mosquitos when on holiday. Naturally, I try to avoid this by filling my body with the local spirits in order to blend in with the local flavours but it never works.

Anyone got any tried and proven methods for managing not to get eaten alive by the little buggers?

I've heard vitamin B supplements are supposed to help but since it doesn't come served over crushed ice I'm not sure I can remember to take it.

TIA

Pondy
        mosquitoes are attracted to diabetic blood
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I heard they don't like diet coke, I assume you have to drink it though.
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Deet.

There is a cream one, can't remember the name "kind to skin" or summin'. Less greasy that the others.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
              + ?

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
              At risk of stating the obvious / obviously wrong, have you tried spray-on insect repellant?
              As well as keeping away the critters it cools you down nicely on a hot day, and the chemicals in it give you a nice tingling sensation on certain parts of the body..
              haven't found a decent one that doesn't stink
              Originally posted by Paddy View Post
              mosquitoes are attracted to diabetic blood
              N/A
              Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
              I heard they don't like diet coke, I assume you have to drink it though.
              I assume I can add rum to it
              Originally posted by minestrone View Post
              Deet.

There is a cream one, can't remember the name "kind to skin" or summin'. Less greasy that the others.
              Ta will send Mrs PL off to boots in the week

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                Take the wife. Excellent decoy, so I've discovered.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Just ordered Deet 50 and Deet 100 + a mossy net from amazon.

The little feckers drive me crazy!

Comment

Maybe you should wash your feet more often.

Malaria mosquitoes accurately find their way to smelly feet

Or just keep moving. The woods round here are full of stagnant pools and If I go jogging in the evening late summer and stand still I can hear them converging from all directions. So I avoid getting bitten by not standing still, they are extremely slow little buggers. 1 mph tops I should think.
                    Last edited by xoggoth; 21 August 2011, 16:27.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X