• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Lake District

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Lake District

....Off to the Lake District for the bank holiday weekend; ostensibly to do some walking - but I'm hoping the inevitable crap weather will mean that there will be nothing else to do other than to sit in a pub and watch the rain come down.

Any recommendations? We're staying in Kendal.

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
    ....Off to the Lake District for the bank holiday weekend; ostensibly to do some walking - but I'm hoping the inevitable crap weather will mean that there will be nothing else to do other than to sit in a pub and watch the rain come down.

Any recommendations? We're staying in Kendal.
    Slightly off your topic but the Lake district has been spoiled beyond its former self. It is now a theme park. I prefer Buxton and Derbyshire.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Cartmel village. "L'enclume" and "Rogan and Co"
      Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
        Slightly off your topic but the Lake district has been spoiled beyond its former self. It is now a theme park. I prefer Buxton and Derbyshire.
        It is still glorious if you stay away from the obvious, though even in those there are some gems.
        Avoid Bowness, Ambleside and Keswick and you are OK.
        If you like to walk then head for the NW region as it is a path less travelled.
        From Wasdale head up to Buttermere. Avoid the Langdales.
        Howe Gills are less majestic, but also less walked and can offer some good walking with some lovely country pubs.
        Just saying like.

Comment

As you are in Kendal there may be something on here Brewery Arts Centre | Music | Theatre | Gigs | Bars | Entertainment | Kendal | Cumbria

or just up the road here

http://www.zeffirellis.com/
          Last edited by Arturo Bassick; 22 August 2011, 09:58.
          Just saying like.

Comment

Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
            Cartmel village. "L'enclume" and "Rogan and Co"
            Looks good - & there's a racing festival on too.

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
              Looks good - & there's a racing festival on too.
              The races is a fantastic day out, well recommended. The two establishments mentioned are a bit poncy for me (good but not my style). Friend of mine is matey with the owners so got invited to a bit of a do. If it is race weekend then you might want to book a table.
              Just saying like.

Comment

Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
                It is still glorious if you stay away from the obvious, though even in those there are some gems.
                Avoid Bowness, Ambleside and Keswick and you are OK.
                If you like to walk then head for the NW region as it is a path less travelled.
                From Wasdale head up to Buttermere. Avoid the Langdales.
                Howe Gills are less majestic, but also less walked and can offer some good walking with some lovely country pubs.
                WHS

Glenridding and Pooley Bridge around Ullswater get rather choked up with tourists as well. Basically avoid anything that is too accesible from the M6
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                X