• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pendle

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pendle

Wife and I are thinking of going witching in a few weeks time.

Anyone recommend any B&B in the area? Also, is it possible to spend a night in the farmhouse. I gather from watching Most Haunted that it's completely derelict.

Can't you sleep in the 'haunted' house? What a rip-off. What about a local graveyard?

Comment

Thought we'd also POP into one or two scummy industrial towns.

Where's good to go for a good gloat?

Comment

Originally posted by pacharan View Post
        Thought we'd also POP into one or two scummy industrial towns.

Where's good to go for a good gloat?
        I wouldnt if I were you. The local hill trolls can smell game from miles away. Burnley knuckledraggers are not friendly.

you should be close enough to visit here though http://www.northcote.com/

I feel a bit like Egon Ronay today.
        Last edited by Arturo Bassick; 22 August 2011, 10:16.
        Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

Any accommodation near Newchurch-in-Pendle will probably be the best bet. That seems to be the epicentre of the whole pendle witch touristy stuff, being one of the closest villages to Pendle Hill and the Pendle Witch history.

Not been there myself since I was a teen when we used to do bike rides to pendle for a day out, so it may have changed since then. Around halloween it used to get very busy (walking to the top of the hill, which is almost a mountain, is a popular thing for locals), so much so that the rozzers closed some of the roads to keep traffic away.

If you can't find anywhere suitable nearby, there's always The Witch Way bus from Manchester, though it's a normal service rather than tourist bus, so doesn't go that close to Pendle Hill itself. You will get some good views of the hill in the distance though, and also a 'tour' through the scummy decaying ex-industrial towns such as Burnley, Nelson, Colne.
          Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
          Feist - I Feel It All
          Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
            Any accommodation near Newchurch-in-Pendle will probably be the best bet. That seems to be the epicentre of the whole pendle witch touristy stuff, being one of the closest villages to Pendle Hill and the Pendle Witch history.

Not been there myself since I was a teen when we used to do bike rides to pendle for a day out, so it may have changed since then. Around halloween it used to get very busy (walking to the top of the hill, which is almost a mountain, is a popular thing for locals), so much so that the rozzers closed some of the roads to keep traffic away.

If you can't find anywhere suitable nearby, there's always The Witch Way bus from Manchester, though it's a normal service rather than tourist bus, so doesn't go that close to Pendle Hill itself. You will get some good views of the hill in the distance though, and also a 'tour' through the scummy decaying ex-industrial towns such as Burnley, Nelson, Colne.
            Oohh Thank-you.

Comment

Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
              I wouldnt if I were you. The local hill trolls can smell game from miles away. Burnley knuckledraggers are not friendly.

you should be close enough to visit here though Hotels in Lancashire Country House Hotel Small Luxury Hotel

I feel a bit like Egon Ronay today.
              One of my mates in our pub reckons that it's common for people to drag their sofas out on to the pavement and sit there and drink beer all day.

Comment

Originally posted by pacharan View Post
                One of my mates in our pub reckons that it's common for people to drag their sofas out on to the pavement and sit there and drink beer all day.
                Actually sounds pretty good.

Comment

I know fook all about the accommodation but would heartedly recommend a pint or 5 of the local brew, Moorhouses Pendle Witch brew.

About as good as you'll get for real ale in my opinion, and 5.2% so doesn't take that many to make you fall off your chair...

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisPackit View Post
                    I know fook all about the accommodation but would heartedly recommend a pint or 5 of the local brew, Moorhouses Pendle Witch brew.

About as good as you'll get for real ale in my opinion, and 5.2% so doesn't take that many to make you fall off your chair...
                    Excellent, let's hope they sell it in Yates's Wine Lodge

Comment

Working...
                    X