• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stupid Agent

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stupid Agent

I'm looking to move back to contracting although still a permie.

At the advanced stage on the interview cycle and agent (reputable, established agency) has requested references...so I supplied them...with a caveat that current employer can only be contacted after I hand in my notice... my mistake.

Stupid agent actually contacted my current employer for a reference and I haven't resigned yet as I don't have a signed contract yet... fuming...so I've put a rocket up the agent and have profuse, written apologies from the agent.

That's the last time I give references prior to an offer I plan to accept.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic

Originally posted by TraceRacing View Post
    Ramblings of a clueless fuqwit...
    Why would the agent need references? I can understand that the end client might...

That was a rhetorical question btw.

Comment

bla bla bla
      Originally posted by Churchill View Post
      Why would the agent need references? I can understand that the end client might...

That was a rhetorical question btw.
      WCS. If had had been a contractor previously; then why did you fall for the oldest trick in the book?
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
        WCS. If had had been a contractor previously; then why did you fall for the oldest trick in the book?
        Maybe the thread should be called "Stupid Permie"
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Let me explain so you can ignore all the piss taking; it's a beginners mistake and you'll make it only once.

Agents do not ask for references to check your ability to do the job. If their client demands references then those can be provided when you have an interview, and YOU decide who your referees are. Agents tend to ask for references for one purpose alone; to get the contact details of hiring managers. They know that if you're leaving somewhere there's a good chance there'll be a vacancy there so they're onto a lead.

If an agent says the word 'reference' before you've got the contract he means 'sales lead'. If an agent says the word 'reference' after you've got the contract he probably still means 'sales lead'.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Could be for SC purposes.....

It happened with me, current clientco needed all my SC refs and stuff and agent went straight to my previous manager, caused a little embarrassment...

Comment

At the advanced stage on the interview cycle and agent (reputable, established agency) has requested references...so I supplied them...with a caveat that current employer can only be contacted after I hand in my notice... my mistake.

Stupid agent actually contacted my current employer for a reference and I haven't resigned yet as I don't have a signed contract yet... fuming...so I've put a rocket up the agent and have profuse, written apologies from the agent.
              Sorry to say, but the apology email was probably included in the starter pack, along with the request reference script, when he joined the agency. Next time Rodders!

HTH
              Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                Could be for SC purposes.....

It happened with me, current clientco needed all my SC refs and stuff and agent went straight to my previous manager, caused a little embarrassment...
                Details of clearances held are to be provided to authorised personnel only, usually the Security Officer at ClientCo. Even then it's usually just proof of address and a copy of your passport.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
                  Sorry to say, but the apology email was probably included in the starter pack, along with the request reference script, when he joined the agency. Next time Rodders!

HTH

Comment

I think whether the OP knew about the reason behind the references or not, what the agent did is beyond unacceptable.

What would you do if an agent did that to you and it cost you a gig/permie role and the potential new gig fell through leaving you benched over a screw up like this?
                    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Working...
                    X