• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying a website for income

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a website for income

Anyone ever bought a website for income. I've been looking at sites on flippa.com (https://flippa.com/2634942-850-month...owth-potential) and they seem to be going for 12-18 months earnings.

So you'd have to pick a good one but seems for a relatively low investment you could be making all profit pretty soon.

Heh, that page includes stats from SKA.

I'd generally recommend to stay clear from any sites that earn via ads - it's very risky and unlikely to last long without ongoing work.

Comment

This website is 100% automated so there is no work needed.

If that's the case then why are they selling it?

Passive income streams are the holy grail to getting rich by doing nothing.
      Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
      Feist - I Feel It All
      Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

It might have good clickthrough rates on affiliate links, but what makes these kind of sites work mostly is the mailing subscriber list.
        "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by DieScum View Post
          Anyone ever bought a website for income. I've been looking at sites on flippa.com (https://flippa.com/2634942-850-month...owth-potential) and they seem to be going for 12-18 months earnings.

So you'd have to pick a good one but seems for a relatively low investment you could be making all profit pretty soon.
          I've built up and sold a couple of sites based on subject matter/advertising (mostly to do with game consoles) and, in my opinion, you'll make more selling them than buying them
          When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
            I've built up and sold a couple of sites based on subject matter/advertising (mostly to do with game consoles) and, in my opinion, you'll make more selling them than buying them
            How did you sell them, did you use one of these 'web businesses for sale' sites? I've looked at those in the past as i've got a decent Plan B i'm wanting to sell due to lack of time and money to market it.

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
              How did you sell them, did you use one of these 'web businesses for sale' sites? I've looked at those in the past as i've got a decent Plan B i'm wanting to sell due to lack of time and money to market it.
              Actually, I punted them on EBay fixed price, for £1500 each. (This was about 4 or five years ago).

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                If that's the case then why are they selling it?

Passive income streams are the holy grail to getting rich by doing nothing.
                A business isn't a passive income stream unless you get someone else to do the work.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                  A business isn't a passive income stream unless you get someone else to do the work.
                  The websites in question are built around automated data feeds on a subject matter area with associated google adsense placings. The idea being that the information presented on the site is content rich and dynamic, supplying a stream of visitors and the click through from google provides the revenue. Once the website is built and functioning, there should be no 'work' to do, so it would be a passive income as there is no 'work' to be done.

I can explain the finer details of how they manage to build them and claim 'income' from them if you want, but it is a bit like Labour Government fiscal policy. i.e. it can be made to look acceptable without strictly 'lying' but by hiding some important truth

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
                    The websites in question are built around automated data feeds on a subject matter area with associated google adsense placings. The idea being that the information presented on the site is content rich and dynamic, supplying a stream of visitors and the click through from google provides the revenue. Once the website is built and functioning, there should be no 'work' to do, so it would be a passive income as there is no 'work' to be done.

I can explain the finer details of how they manage to build them and claim 'income' from them if you want, but it is a bit like Labour Government fiscal policy. i.e. it can be made to look acceptable without strictly 'lying' but by hiding some important truth
                    Is there any money in writing content?
                    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                    X