• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CV Discussion

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CV Discussion

Hi there,

Time to update my CV and I am thinking whether my CV reflects my experience or shall I change the format, shall I cut down the amount of information I have about the various projects I have worked on?

My CV contains the information about projects (detailed, my key responsibilities, start date to finish date and technologies involved).

With 12 years of experience it has now run into 6 full pages and seem like too big. Had a bit of gap between projects so not sure if I should remove the dates of the projects so as to avoid questions like why could I not find work for such and such long time.

Please provide your inputs on my queries and feel free to add more about what you think a CV should look like. I know there are tons of websites out there but they all seem rubbish and generic. Hope it is worth the discussion.

Thanks,

Flesh out the last 5 years and just provide bullet points detailing name of company,dates and role for anything prior to this.

Nods, could I suggest moving this to business/contracts? He might get more helpful advice there.

Comment

I have a two part CV for my generic project management focussed CV

Page 1 - a summary sheet of projects, skills and technologies aimed squarely at agencies with a view to getting "hits" on their searches and getting through sifts
      Page 2-4 - This is my very broad brush CV covering my skills and experience, anything irrelevant is deleted; for example, it's irrelevant for me as a project manager that I did break/fix repair stuff back in prehistoric times on old green-screen dumb terminals. If aimed at a specific role then this is tailored to that role.

Anything beyond 3 pages for a full CV in application for a specific role suggests that you're not that good at getting to the point and you run the risk of the reader skipping important parts in a desire to get through the thing.

Comment

Thanks for your response..I will also add it to the other forum..

Comment

Originally posted by tigerinhunt View Post
          Thanks for your response..I will also add it to the other forum..
          The nods should do this - that's what they are here for!

Comment

Originally posted by pacharan View Post
            Flesh out the last 5 years and just provide bullet points detailing name of company,dates and role for anything prior to this.

Nods, could I suggest moving this to business/contracts? He might get more helpful advice there.
            But we can't be rude in those forums. Much better to be here so we can call a spade a spade!!
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              But we can't be rude in those forums. Much better to be here so we can call a spade a spade!!
              You and Malvolio are normally rude wherever you are!

Comment

Originally posted by pacharan View Post
                You and Malvolio are normally rude wherever you are!
                It's called directness not rudeness.

There is no need to sugar coat things as people won't get the meaning.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  It's called directness not rudeness.

There is no need to sugar coat things as people won't get the meaning.
                  Keep your hair on dearie! I was only joking.

Comment

Working...
                  X