• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Libya - It's all over bar the shooting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Libya - It's all over bar the shooting

Looks like the rebels have won and all current deaths/injuries are from them shooting in the air in celebration.

BBC News - Who, What, Why: How dangerous is firing a gun into the air?

Maybe they're hosting "The Darwin Awards Live" this year.
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Libya: UK government 'dawdling' as European rivals win lucrative contracts - Telegraph

Probably nonsense. I wouldn't expect the major players (UK and France?) who have expended many bombs and political shenanigans to dawdle on grabbing the oil contracts.

Comment

They loaned the bombs and air support to the rebels at an extortionate APR.

The interest charges will allow them to sit back and claim all the oil if the rebels take much longer to start paying their dues.

That's modern business. Outsource the tulipty end of the stick and charge handsomely for holding the stick.
      Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

This conspiracy theory (mentioned in that Telegraph article comments) has legs :

Gold, Oil, Africa and Why the West Wants Gadhafi Dead
        Gaddafi gold-for-oil, dollar-doom plans behind Libya 'mission'? - YouTube

Comment

Now we can look look forward to years of NATO involvement in the subsequent chaos while the tribal chiefs/Islamists fight for the country.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Maybe they'll have the sense to ring-fence the oil wells with 'UN Peacekeepers' so the supply is protected, and let the rest of the country fall into whatever civil war hell the locals desire.

If I was more a doer than a thinker I'd have implemented my geographically remote oil well drilling solution by now.

After all, all oil fields can be reached from anywhere on the planet, if you dig a long enough tunnel. No need to invade and extract from above.
            Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Great idea. "Let there be blood" was a brill film.

And if you passed the oil through the earth's core you could distil it as it went, get petrol out of one hole, heavy oil out of another etc.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

It does not matter who gets oil as long as it flows to world oil market - this would reduce prices for everyone (including other evil dictators who fund their regimes with high oil prices).

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  It does not matter who gets oil as long as it flows to world oil market - this would reduce prices for everyone (including other evil dictators who fund their regimes with high oil prices).
                  Yeah, it means the world can get on with exponential economic and population growth. Nothing could possible go wrong now.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    Western Goverrment already had Oil Contracts with Libya- so there was no issue with Oil flowing to the Markets - I recall you used this same line of reasoning for the Iraq War - if Saddam stopped the flow of Oil then we would pay a fortune for Oil - well after the Iraq War the Oil Industry itself went on a binge of profit making and inflated Oil prices - as for evil dictators - excellent suggestion lets take out Saudi Arabia !
                    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 26 August 2011, 07:07.

Comment

Working...
                    X