• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Will there be reprecussions?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will there be reprecussions?

Hi,

I am 'slightly' concerned and would appreciate anyone's feedback/thoughts regarding this.

I have been in my current contract for almost 6 months (6 months is the term). My client wishes me to extend and they started proceedings with my agent a couple of weeks ago. This was a little presumptuous and no-one at the client site spoke to me about this.

Well, I have decided not to accept the extension and wish to leave, so, I emailed my senior manager (as I couldn't see him face-to-face), no response on the first or second day, he tapped me on the shoulder on the third day confirming he had read the mail and we should talk. This still hasn't happened and my contract is up in a week. To be honest I don't reckon he'll even get round to speaking to me as I think he think's I won't leave.

Well, if next week comes and goes and I just don't come back (my contract would have expired then), am I liable to have any reprecussions? Surely I am not legally bound to continue if I haven't signed a contract extension...

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Thanks

Dar

Theoretically it should not have. Unfortunately such* managers are tulipe and will probably bad mouth you in future if references are asked for.

*too busy to have a proper chat: What like it'd take more than a couple of minutes? No one is ever that busy.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Personally I don't like to leave a bad taste in a clients or agents mouth, but I wouldn't stay somewhere I don't want to. I'd just phone up the agent and tell them your not interested in staying on. So long as they are aware and you don't just dissappear then there is no problem. Of course, if you are out of contract then you are out of contract, but my mommy taught me good manners.

Comment

You are absolutely right - the end of the contract means the end of the contract. However Do not turn up after that date otherwise it will be read that you have 'accepted' the extension; you'll find yourself in a tricky situation.

The end-client is acting in a complacent and arrogant manner, you however have acted professionally.

They may get upset (and mention 'blacklists') when they realise that you mean what you've said but don't worry about it - there's more work out there and no-one will take any notice of these guys...

(Bovvered's right tho - you need to let the agent know of your intention, that's proper professional... )
        Last edited by cojak; 12 April 2006, 08:02.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Thanks....

Thanks for your replies peeps.

I don't like leaving 'bad tastes' either, hence my initial concern.

My agent is aware (has been for a couple of weeks) but I don't think he want's to take anything as definate until I get to speak to the client. I think he reckons the client will persuade me to stay on - not likely - LOL.

Cheers

Dar

Comment

Dazzer,

'This was a little presumptuous and no-one at the client site spoke to me about this',

how presumptuous of them, who the feck do they think they are ?

Go and tell them where to stick their stoopid extension and not to be so presumptuous as to imagine that a mere Client can simply extend a contract without consulting you

Milan.

Comment

No, the agent expects you to do his work

Originally posted by darrenwoodall
              Thanks for your replies peeps.

I don't like leaving 'bad tastes' either, hence my initial concern.

My agent is aware (has been for a couple of weeks) but I don't think he want's to take anything as definate until I get to speak to the client. I think he reckons the client will persuade me to stay on - not likely - LOL.

Cheers

Dar
              You've told the agent you're not extending but the agent is not telling the client because he doesn't want to look bad. I guarantee you that when you leave, the agent will cosy up to the client and pretend that he knew nothing about it and you had told him you were going to extend.
              Why not?

Comment

Originally posted by Dundeegeorge
                You've told the agent you're not extending but the agent is not telling the client because he doesn't want to look bad. I guarantee you that when you leave, the agent will cosy up to the client and pretend that he knew nothing about it and you had told him you were going to extend.
                Gosh, I like so had that happen to me many years ago. It is one of the vast range of reasons I just do not use agents any longer.

Comment

wouldn't it simply be easier to communicate in a closer way with the Client and tell them politely your plans and availability, then advise the agent that you have spoken to the Client explained your plans and availability and all is agreed ?

call me old fashioned

Milan.

Comment

Good point Milan, I took on handling the client and then one day wondered WTF was this agent actually doing for the money. Since have never bothered with them ever again.

Comment

Working...
                    X