• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Investing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Investing

All this talk of buying gold etc...

A few years ago I started buying paintings just because I liked them and with no thought to investment potential.

I just had my collection valued for insurance purposes and had a pleasant shock at how much more they're worth, most more than double what I paid for them.

On the auctions sites now to acquire some more with some expert help from a collector friend.

Boomed
    Me, me, me...

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    I just had my collection valued for insurance purposes and had a pleasant shock at how much more they're worth, most more than double what I paid for them.

Your premiums depend on "value" of collection...

Either that or sterling depreciated by 50%.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

Your premiums depend on "value" of collection...

Either that or sterling depreciated by 50%.
      The value of each piece is accurate as quoted by Christies and not inflated so if I was to sell a real profit would be made and they will not decrease in value. The premium is trivial in the bigger scheme of things.

One piece alone if I sold right now would pay for the rather nice wee plane I intend to buy in a few weeks, at the time I purchased it didn't cost a single day rate.

So, AtW the art expert now?
      Me, me, me...

Comment

So, AtW the art expert now?
        I might not know art but I know what I like

What's your address again?

Comment

I might not know art but I know what I like

What's your address again?
          I might add that the more valuable paintings which are too big for the house are on loan to a gallery where they are on display and insured by them anyway.

I haven't even gotten around to my flown items collection from the Apollo era which have tripled in value since I bought them (from the only agent to represent the astronauts directly), some of which have been on the Moon and very rare. I've even corresponded with some of the astronauts themselves to validate the authenticity.

Who needs gold when you have beta cloth...
          Me, me, me...

Comment

I might add that the more valuable paintings which are too big for the house are on loan to a gallery where they are on display and insured by them anyway.

Mods, please change Clipheads title to "Art dealer".

tia

Comment

Mods, please change Clipheads title to "Investor".

tia
              Me, me, me...

Comment

Ok, it's fair play.

Let it be written in the book of CUK that I said those who buy pieces of art with a view to hold them for a long period of time for investment purposes are NOT dirty spekulants.

Comment

Ok, it's fair play.

Let it be written in the book of CUK that I said those who buy pieces of art with a view to hold them for a long period of time for investment purposes are NOT dirty spekulants.

Me, me, me...

Comment

Working...
                  X