• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The taxman cometh

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The taxman cometh

...for those who've stashed their money away

HMRC's fangs sharpened

Anyone quaking in their shoes?
    I'm alright Jack

The taxman cometh
    I bet his wife doesn't though.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      I expect tax-dodging lowlifes like BolshieBastard will be bricking it. Quite right too.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Anyway, if 'the rich' take their savings out and exchange them for gold, art, houses in Switzerland etc, wouldn't this mean the banks have less money they can lend, and the Swiss economy does quite well at the expense of the British economy?
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Is it just me or is Osbourne starting to look more and more like our beloved Brown?

Comment

It is just headline grabbing though isn't it? HMRC has just written off 27 billion due to not being fit for purpose. Those with Swiss accounts will find other places to hide their money, if they were hiding in the first place.
            Govt. will continue to parade new policy aimed at those nasty rich tax dodgers.
            HMRC will continue to parade their anti tax dodgers policies like IR35.
            The non doms will continue to gift billions to their offshore spouses and will never be touched.

There needs to be a root and branch reform of tax policy in the UK.
            Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
              Is it just me or is Osbourne starting to look more and more like our beloved Brown?
              He's started using new liebor language...

"The Chancellor said last night: ... this Coalition Government made it a priority to go after those who don’t pay their fair share."

What is it about that language that annoys me?

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                ...for those who've stashed their money away

HMRC's fangs sharpened

I'm not sure this is going to effect anyone very much. The Swiss have lowered interest rates paid out to deposit holders in an effert to lower the CHF rate. They are going to withold some of the interest to be paid on the account and give it to the English government. They still get to keep their identity secret and their big wad of cash.

Nothing to see here

Although the identity of the account holders will remain secret, Swiss banks have agreed to collect tax on the money held and hand it over to the Treasury.

The deal will start with a one-off deduction from all accounts open at the start of last year. The tax rate applied will vary between 19 per cent and 34 per cent, depending on the circumstances.
                The Swiss authorities have agreed to make an initial payment of £400 million and sources expect the deal to be worth up to £5 billion over the next few years.
                Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

A Treasury source said: ‘The opportunities for tax evasion are diminishing month by month and we are determined to carry on. Switzerland is a very big step.'

Ok, what about Tax Avoidance?

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                    A Treasury source said: ‘The opportunities for tax evasion are diminishing month by month and we are determined to carry on. Switzerland is a very big step.'

Ok, what about Tax Avoidance?
                    Shhh!

That's a labour nonsense, don't give him ideas.

Comment

Working...
                    X