• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SAT-NAVs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SAT-NAVs

I am on second Tomtom and considering what else on the market I find Tomtom to be overpriced and lacking in navigation features such as off road. I am looking for a SATNAV that includes European Maps as far as Turkey. Does anyone have practical experience and advice?
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    I am on second Tomtom and considering what else on the market I find Tomtom to be overpriced and lacking in navigation features such as off road. I am looking for a SATNAV that includes European Maps as far as Turkey. Does anyone have practical experience and advice?
    Yes, learn how to read a map.

If you're going off-road then learn the route and prepare accordingly well in advance.

Comment

I've still not bought a sat. nav, though I sometimes wish my Touch would provide GPS co-ordinates.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
        Yes, learn how to read a map.

If you're going off-road then learn the route and prepare accordingly well in advance.

I knew someone would come up with that one! Since I used to Rally I quite cable of reading a map and plotting a route even off road. I never rely solely on a SAT_NAV but a SAT_NAV in excellent for timing and places with little or no signs. In Turkey even the taxi drivers get lost in the cities and that is main reason for needing a SAT-NAV.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

There's an app for that.

Got TomTom installed on my iPhone. Whole map of Europe. Walking routes are very handy when holidaying in a strange town.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            There's an app for that.

Got TomTom installed on my iPhone. Whole map of Europe. Walking routes are very handy when holidaying in a strange town.
            But you've roaming fees to pay? I'd settle for a GPS chip in my iTouch and no fees.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
              There's an app for that.

My Tom-Tom has only Western European Maps. It would cost about £60 just to add Eastern Europe. Even my fairly new Tom-Tom struggles to calculate a route more than a few hundred miles.

I will take a look at the app though. Thanks

Comment

SatNav has got to be among the best things invented in the last 50 years, I bloody love it. You get one, you can't go back, no way. Cheap Garmin for me, got Europe in but not Turkey. Days of big maps and atoz's on your knee trying to find poxy little streets, gone and not missed.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                  I've still not bought a sat. nav
                  WTS I was about to buy one but found google maps on HTC was perfectly adequate for my needs.
                  Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                    My Tom-Tom has only Western European Maps. It would cost about £60 just to add Eastern Europe. Even my fairly new Tom-Tom struggles to calculate a route more than a few hundred miles.
                    I have a Tom-Tom Live which means when I set off on a route often it will divert me along odd side roads or completely to avoid traffic delays.

When the first time this happened I thought where the f*** are you taking me and ignored it. The second time because I knew where I was and my passenger didn't mind I followed it. Sometimes the diversions make a difference other times they don't.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X