• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

permie at crossroads

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

permie at crossroads

Hello there.

I am a permie in need of guidance. Am Working in a permie developer role using .NET, C#.

I am on a salary of £33k, no pension or other benefits. I am under the impression i am being shafted. Am fed up of all the office politics etc.

Do you think I would be much better off by going contracting? What would the 1st steps be? Unfortunately I am on a 3 month notice period

Ta

33K is fine, but 80K is better

If you live in London then no probs contracting, if you live elsewhere, Hull for example, then you'll have to prepare to travel, then difference between a fixed salary and contractor's rate is not as good. I would reckon though if you're experienced, and hence capable of contracting, you should easily be able to get 40K probably more outside of London.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by MrPants
      Hello there.

I am a permie in need of guidance. Am Working in a permie developer role using .NET, C#.

I am on a salary of £33k, no pension or other benefits. I am under the impression i am being shafted. Am fed up of all the office politics etc.

Do you think I would be much better off by going contracting? What would the 1st steps be? Unfortunately I am on a 3 month notice period

Ta
      If you go contracting you will get an hourly rate of £27.48. First step - put your notice in now, wait 2.5 months then apply for all contracts paying this amount.

Comment

get into .Net contracting mate, it's the future, everybody knows that

all the best,

Milan.

Comment

hmmm, a permie coming on to a contractor's web site asking if he should go contract or stay permie.... me thinks you've already made your decision!
          "Well behaved women rarely make history"

Comment

Dunno, if you need to ask then maybe contracting is not for you...
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Hello there.

Ta
              Get yer c.v. sorted, secure your 1st contract - make sure the timing of this means that :
              1: Funds from your last pay have already cleared into your bank account
              2: All Holiday allowance is already used

Once all this is in place on your 1st contract day get your wife/partner to ring HR and say you've had a nervous breakdown due to pressure at work & won't be returning (tears usually help)

Realise you can never go back and take the first step

Comment

Originally posted by Gold Dalek
                Get yer c.v. sorted, secure your 1st contract - make sure the timing of this means that :
                1: Funds from your last pay have already cleared into your bank account
                2: All Holiday allowance is already used

Once all this is in place on your 1st contract day get your wife/partner to ring HR and say you've had a nervous breakdown due to pressure at work & won't be returning (tears usually help)

Realise you can never go back and take the first step
                Ha ha! Like the bit about about the nervous breakdown! Not sure I'd have the balls to try that tho

Comment

Originally posted by PerlOfWisdom
                  If you go contracting you will get an hourly rate of £27.48. First step - put your notice in now, wait 2.5 months then apply for all contracts paying this amount.
                  Is the market good at the moment? I would be happy to hand in my notice if there are an abundance of contracts out there.

Comment

Is the market good at the moment? I would be happy to hand in my notice if there are an abundance of contracts out there.
                    one thing is for sure... there are an abundance of job web sites to enter ".NET" into the search and hey presto you've answered your own question!!

*janey in "oh god not this question again" mode*
                    "Well behaved women rarely make history"

Comment

Working...
                    X