• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Identifying potential firms for a "year in industry"? - North West England.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Identifying potential firms for a "year in industry"? - North West England.

Bloggs Jr is starting to think about university entry for year 2012 but has decided to also apply to the "year in industry" scheme that would defer university entry to 2013 and also provide a year of (paid) experience in the workplace. Bloggs Jr is applying to study Computer Science and Maths joint honours degree so it seems likely that companies who would be suitable to spend a year at would also be companies likely to use computing industry contractors such as the audience here. I'd be intersted in any suggestions of potential firms in the industry who Bloggs Jr could put down on the application form please? Any suggestions need to be inside the area bounded by Stoke, Liverpool, Chester and Manchester please, to enable daily commuting. Thanks for your help, apart from Barclays in Knutsford, I have no idea who the likely firms would be as I'm in process engineering myself and all the firms in that industry have fairly limited opportunities in the area of computer science and maths.

Thanks for your help.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

IBM Research Laboratory - Blackfriars Street.

Comment

BAE Systems
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

A friend mentioned recently that United Utilities could be a good place to approach for that kind of thing and they have plenty of large bases in that catchment area.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into those.

Comment

The big consulting firms should have offices in the region i.e. Accenture, Logica.

I know they use to take people on for a year in industry but normally it was during their degree not before.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Thanks SE, I'm going to take a look this evening on Google now that I have some ideas.

Comment

Or he could look at going in to Power Electronics and apply to Siemens in Congleton
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                  Or he could look at going in to Power Electronics and apply to Siemens in Congleton
                  Thanks DA, pretty set on Comp Sci/Maths, I'm afraid.

Comment

Co-operative group / CFS in Manchester.

Forget Barclays. They only take IT entrants in Lithuania and India these days. UK youngsters are "non-strategic".
                    Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Working...
                    X