• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Background checks - how do I...?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Background checks - how do I...?

After leaving my permie job in 2005, I have been working on a number of projects, both development and support.
    All of them have been B2B - most of them with end client and some of them through consulting companies. I have also employed people and subcontracted. None of the contracts has my name on them.

Projects have dried up recently and I am planning to look for contract work in the financial sector.
    A contractor friend of mine who works in finance has a potential opening in her team. But she says that the agencies will want previous reference (for compliance purposes) but they do not consider reference from your own company. They want agencies or clients to vouch your work. Given my nature of my previous work, there is no way I can do this.

How can I approach this situation? Has anyone handled a situation like this?

If my memory serves me right when I started my last finance project they wanted employment history but I had a year out so struggled to give them it. In the end I just gave them my bank statements for that year. All they wanted to make sure was that I was at large in the community and not abroad working as a mercenary or being detained at her majesties pleasure.

Now I dealt directly with the clients compliance team who were very understanding and flexible. They just wanted to know I had not been up to no good.

Now if an agent is doing it you could be screwed as he probably doesn't understand the system or what is for and will just tick the boxes so could be a problem.

Go back to them and explain the situation, they will find some other way of proving you are who you say and have been a good boy. Remember this is compliance not references on your work so doesn't have to be ex clients or employers.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
    X