• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

leaking dishwasher

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

leaking dishwasher

My ceiling in the UK apartment has just falling down caused by a neighbour's leaking dishwasher.

£3k worth of damage my insurance company is forking out. Myself another £500 in lost rent and other administrative fees.

What I don't understand is why my insurance should be forking out when the damage is caused by my neighbour's equipment.

Is that right?
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

You can sue him.

I had something similar happen while I was having a lie in at an ex girlfriends flat a few years ago, when the police entered the upstairs flat it turned out the guy had died in the shower and blocked the drainage hole.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
      The absolute bastard.

Did you sue him?
      It wasn't my house, but I believe the estate received a bill for the repairs.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

It's just the way the insurance system works. The damage was to your property so you have to claim from your insurance. However you insurance company will then claim from the insurance of the property above yours as they were they ones who caused the damage.

Comment

Originally posted by davetza View Post
          It's just the way the insurance system works. The damage was to your property so you have to claim from your insurance. However you insurance company will then claim from the insurance of the property above yours as they were they ones who caused the damage.
          If that's the case why does it feel they ramp up my premium the following year?
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            My ceiling in the UK apartment has just falling down caused by a neighbour's leaking dishwasher.

£3k worth of damage my insurance company is forking out. Myself another £500 in lost rent and other administrative fees.

What I don't understand is why my insurance should be forking out when the damage is caused by my neighbour's equipment.

Is that right?
            Teach you for owning a flat.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
              If that's the case why does it feel they ramp up my premium the following year?
              'Cos you're a bad risk and all ills will befall you....

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                Teach you for owning a flat.
                The flat cost more than £400K! Dream of owning a house I do.
                Last edited by scooterscot; 26 August 2011, 14:12.

Comment

Originally posted by Dearnla View Post
                  'Cos you're a bad risk and all ills will befall you....
                  So it would seem. Other death how else can I reduce the ills that befall me?

Comment

Working...
                  X