• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The UK economy .....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The UK economy .....

THE UK ECONOMY

HOW HEALTHY IS UK plc?

ECONOMIC INDICATORS
    Jobless total keeps on rising
    Manufacturing output falls
    Inflation edges higher
    Tough start to year for retailers
    hmm or
    I'm alright Jack

Not too worried at the momment. I'd actually be happy for inflation to put interest rates up a bit, say 1.5%

Fixed rate mortgage, and no other debts, so that wont be affected but a better return for savings and investments.
    Last edited by DaveB; 12 April 2006, 11:02.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Never mind, just keep borrowing!

Let's see if we can double the national debt and hit two trillion of personal debt before the banks cry "Enough!"

Comment

But at least hose prices are reasonable:

http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=303130
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB
          Not too worried at the momment. I'd actually be happy for inflation to put interest rates up a bit, say 1.5%

Fixed rate mortgage, and no other debts, so that wont be affected but a better return for savings and investments.
          me too... no debt, no mortgage, let the interest rates rise!
          "Well behaved women rarely make history"

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates
            hmm or
            How can the UK economy be ferked when our houses are all worth so much money ? In fact they are so valuable everyone is borrowing huge amounts against this equity to spend on holidays and cars etc.

I believed his royal highness Gaydon when told us "No more return to boom and bust".

The man is a genius of the first order and I for one am happy to gamble the future financial prosperity of my whole family on this man's brilliance (NOT)

I detect a rather serious "correction" coming to the UK economy, however nobody will dare to refer to it as "economic bust" because as Gaydon said, we dont do "busts" anymore. Those that dare to defy him will be detained as a terrorist and held without trial.

You know its only "fair"

Comment

We're all doomed.

But I too would be in favour of higher interest rates. Purely from a self interest point of view of course.

Mind you, on the other hand, engineering a bit of higher inflation by leaving rates low will help to erode the debts of all those borrowers faster and keep them voting the right way. Ah, now I see how the mind of GB works.

Comment

Originally posted by Emperor Dalek
                Mind you, on the other hand, engineering a bit of higher inflation by leaving rates low will help to erode the debts of all those borrowers faster and keep them voting the right way. Ah, now I see how the mind of GB works.
                HANG ON SECOND - THESE SORT OF ECONOMIC DECISIONS ABOUT INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION ARE NO LONGER THE RESPONSIBILITY OF GAYDON BUT UNDER THE "INDEPENDANT" CONTROL OF THE MPC

Shirley you are not suggesting that Gaydon is trying to influence UK interest and inflationary policy for the sake of political gain

Back to your orginal point.....

One side effect of inflating the UK out of debt is the decline in the purchasing power of sterling and those with savings seeing the value of those savings being erroded (possibly quite significantly)

For those with substantial savings, take a look at what has been happening with the value of gold these past 12 months.....then it may become clear that the "smart money" sussed Gaydons plans a long time ago and are bailing out of sterling and the dollar into something that the government cant print more of when it suits them.

The USA economy is in the same predicament as the UK's ...but worse !

Comment

hands up if you building an AU and AG holding

Milan.

Comment

hands up if you building a guns and food holding

threaded.
                    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
                    X