• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

South Korea Personal Tax Liability

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

South Korea Personal Tax Liability

Hi All,

I have a query which i hope someone can help me with. Before i start, this situation applies to about 6 or 7 of us working in exactly the same situation.

I work in the UK for my limited company.
    Over a year ago I took a contract in the UK.

The contract is through an agency and they engage my limited company to work for a systems integrator.

As part of the project, i was asked by the systems integrator to commission the project in South Korea.

As the systems integrator had strict ethical policies, they would only send engineers to South Korea on Business Visas.

The agency that employs my limited company told me that because I was working on Business Visa's in South Korea, I was visible to the Korean tax authorities and therefore liable to pay personal Korean tax at source. They have therefore deducted 20% from the amount my limited company invoices and used it to pay the Korean personal tax directly.

Their justification for this is that because i am visible, if i dont pay the tax then they could face my liability from the Korean authorities if I didn’t pay it, furthermore if they didnt pay the tax liability then this liability could be passed further up to the systems integrator. The bottom line is no-one would accept that responsibility so they decided to take it out of my limited company income at source.

Their response on the recovery of the Korean tax is that we will receive tax notes from the Korean authorities at the end of the Korean tax year which can then be offset against our personal tax. This obviously causes a massive problem because the tax I pay on my personal salary will nowhere near recoup the amount I will have paid in Korea. Therefore the personal tax I am being forced to pay is effectively dead money.

I have a number of questions about this and i wondered if anyone can offer any help or advice.

1) The agency have basically forced me to pay personal Korean tax. However, contractually, they have only engaged my limited company. Is this legal? There is nothing in the contract T’s and C’s between the agency and my limited company about this.

2) As the agency are being seen to deduct personal tax at source, does this open me up to IR35 implications because they are handling some of my personal tax issues?

3) Despite my major concern about the legality of this situation, I have a query about the percentage being deducted. The agency have taken 20% off my invoices at source but we have found Korean documentation stating that the fixed rate should be 15%. Does anybody have any idea which rate is correct because I have a feeling the agency have taken an additional amount to cover themselves.

4) I really can’t see the way this taxation issue has been handled is correct. Does anyone know anywhere where I can get good legal advice about this so I can pursue it further if I wish to pursue this.

Many Thanks in advance of your posts

Steve

Originally posted by Proconsoftware View Post
    Hi All,

I have a query which i hope someone can help me with. Before i start, this situation applies to about 6 or 7 of us working in exactly the same situation.

I work in the UK for my limited company.
    Over a year ago I took a contract in the UK.

The contract is through an agency and they engage my limited company to work for a systems integrator.

As part of the project, i was asked by the systems integrator to commission the project in South Korea.

As the systems integrator had strict ethical policies, they would only send engineers to South Korea on Business Visas.

The agency that employs my limited company told me that because I was working on Business Visa's in South Korea, I was visible to the Korean tax authorities and therefore liable to pay personal Korean tax at source. They have therefore deducted 20% from the amount my limited company invoices and used it to pay the Korean personal tax directly.

Their justification for this is that because i am visible, if i dont pay the tax then they could face my liability from the Korean authorities if I didn’t pay it, furthermore if they didnt pay the tax liability then this liability could be passed further up to the systems integrator. The bottom line is no-one would accept that responsibility so they decided to take it out of my limited company income at source.

Their response on the recovery of the Korean tax is that we will receive tax notes from the Korean authorities at the end of the Korean tax year which can then be offset against our personal tax. This obviously causes a massive problem because the tax I pay on my personal salary will nowhere near recoup the amount I will have paid in Korea. Therefore the personal tax I am being forced to pay is effectively dead money.

I have a number of questions about this and i wondered if anyone can offer any help or advice.

1) The agency have basically forced me to pay personal Korean tax. However, contractually, they have only engaged my limited company. Is this legal? There is nothing in the contract T’s and C’s between the agency and my limited company about this.

2) As the agency are being seen to deduct personal tax at source, does this open me up to IR35 implications because they are handling some of my personal tax issues?

3) Despite my major concern about the legality of this situation, I have a query about the percentage being deducted. The agency have taken 20% off my invoices at source but we have found Korean documentation stating that the fixed rate should be 15%. Does anybody have any idea which rate is correct because I have a feeling the agency have taken an additional amount to cover themselves.

4) I really can’t see the way this taxation issue has been handled is correct. Does anyone know anywhere where I can get good legal advice about this so I can pursue it further if I wish to pursue this.

Many Thanks in advance of your posts

Steve
    It is a company, personal tax does not come into it in any shape or form, I think you have been subjected to a 20 % rate reduction against your will imo. You need a Uk to international company lawyer, if you want to PM me I can put you in touch with one.

Comment

Originally posted by geoff from contracta IOM View Post
      It is a company, personal tax does not come into it in any shape or form, I think you have been subjected to a 20 % rate reduction against your will imo. You need a Uk to international company lawyer, if you want to PM me I can put you in touch with one.
      Thanks Geoff,

I'll PM you once my account becomes active to send messages.
      One other thing i forgot to mention is that I am paying Korean personal tax whilst travelling to and from the UK to South Korea. Surely this cant be right as well.

If anybody else has any other advice please don't hesitate to post.

Many Thanks,

Steve

Comment

I'm very sorry to hear this situation but as far as I can remember, every time I have been asked about working in places like South Korea one of the first questions I have asked is "is the rate tax paid or gross"? Often for these jobs, the client co pays the tax directly before you get the money. Working like that you are obviously a temporary employee and your own UK Ltd Co has nothing at all to do with it. The Korean tax paid is then used to offset some of your UK tax liability (if there is any which there will very likely be unless you have stayed out of the UK for a full tax year and have jumped through several other hoops). That's how I have always understood the situation anyway. Myself, I think you have made a mistake running this job through your Ltd Co, but there you go.
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

I suspect FredBloggs is correct. I have no experience of South Korea but I have seen similar situations in Algeria and Angola. I think something similar happens in Norway as well.(?)

You may be able to offset the deduction from your UK CT or SA tax though so all is not necessarily lost.

Comment

Originally posted by Just1morethen View Post
            I suspect FredBloggs is correct. I have no experience of South Korea but I have seen similar situations in Algeria and Angola. I think something similar happens in Norway as well.(?)

You may be able to offset the deduction from your UK CT or SA tax though so all is not necessarily lost.
            You are right. As soon as you look to work outside of the UK, your UK Ltd Co is basically useless to you as far as I can see. I don't see any way how what is effectively defacto personal taxation paid in S Korea can be used to offset UK CT though.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
              You are right. As soon as you look to work outside of the UK, your UK Ltd Co is basically useless to you as far as I can see. I don't see any way how what is effectively defacto personal taxation paid in S Korea can be used to offset UK CT though.
              Thanks for the replies Fred Bloggs and Just1morethen.

I understand your points and I agree that the best way to avoid this in the future is to ensure it is in writing that "all taxes paid".

However, my original questions still stand for this situation.

1/ There is nothing in my contract T's and C's so can they legally deduct personal tax from my limited company income? Surely this income belongs to the company and its upto the directors decide how to finance the tax liability of the business and its employees not the agency
              2/ Does the agencies actions now have IR35 implications?
              3/ Is the 20% rate actually correct?

Many Thanks again,

Steve

Comment

Sorry, I hope you get answers, but I am not sure that anyone here can answer those questions for you. My take on point #2 is definately no.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                  Hi Fred Bloggs,

On the subject of offsetting personal taxation paid in Korea against CT paid in the UK, i cant see how there would be a mechanism for this either. One's personal tax and the other is company tax.

Thanks,

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Proconsoftware View Post
                    Hi Fred Bloggs,

On the subject of offsetting personal taxation paid in Korea against CT paid in the UK, i cant see how there would be a mechanism for this either. One's personal tax and the other is company tax.

Thanks,

Steve
                    Correct, I believe you are stuffed but I'd like to be wrong.

Comment

Working...
                    X