• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are all plumbers thick?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are all plumbers thick?

Had a couple of teams of plumbers first thing this morning, trying to get into the upstairs flat.

"The key is next door", I say.
    "But can we come in?", say the plumbers.
    "Please fetch the key from next door", I repeat.

Repeat and rinse for the second team.

Who when they have finished try to get into my apartment to tell me they've done. Sigh.

This isn't the first time I've met plumbers who seem to have difficulty with simple concepts like getting into a house.

Is this why they are so expensive?
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    Are all plumbers thick?
    Yes.

It's the pre-2006 inhalation of the lead solder fumes. Gives them a brain as dysfunctional as a Huxley Associates gel-encrusted, bow-legged barrow boy.
    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

The reason why isnt because they are thick.

The reason is because they are pre-occupied with various cons on the mind, as 99.99% of plumbers are lying dirty scroundrels that would pork their own grandmother after stealing off her.

Comment

I have had a similar experience with gormless plumbers. One thought that a waste pipe running uphill "would be alright". Lazy fecker didn't want to dig into the concrete to get the required fall.
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

What's the collective noun for a "group of plumbers" ?
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
            What's the collective noun for a "group of plumbers" ?
            crooks, fleecers, fraudsters, hustlers, scam artists, sharks, swindlers, leakies, or my personal favourite; Plumbums (the latin word and origin for plumbers) ...

Comment

We had a plumber/heating engineer in a few weeks back to look at a leaking flue on our CH. He was so fat he could barely get round the unit to see the probelm. Rather glad he didn't quote us. Did it myself in the end.

The flue was damaged by the last lot of plumbers who did the bathroom, not bright enough to know you should not stand on thin stainless steel ducting apparently.

PS And the last one we had charged us £400 for a £220 pump. When the other one went wrong got replacement off net put that in myself too, DIY is much cheaper and job just as good or better usually.
              Last edited by xoggoth; 27 August 2011, 15:14.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I taught myself to solder while being mucked around by a plumber for nearly a year. Turns out he was gas registered but not under his trading name which makes installations illegal.

Unfortunately, there are some jobs like gas that a DIYer cant do.

After my previous experience, when I needed to get my work signed off, I looked through the yellow pages and compared to the gas safe register, nearly all of them werent registered even though claiming they are. Looked through the council approved list, they either never came round to quote or didnt have valid gas safe certificates.

Out of hundreds of plumbers I checked, most werent legally compliant including a large local gas installer a couple of towns away that acts illegally and carries out unsafe work. Eventually found a decent plumber though, that turns up when he says he will, charges a reasonable amount instead of hundreds per hour and abides by the law.

If anyone in the north west needs a plumber by the way, feel free to shoot me a message.

Comment

Originally posted by wim121 View Post
                  Unfortunately, there are some jobs like gas that a DIYer cant do. .
                  Well...
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Are all plumbers thick?
                    In my experience, the knuckle-dragging scum are living proof that evolution can go backwards as well as forwards.

I've never yet encountered a plumber who didn't (a) try and rip me off, and (b) do a bodged and incomplete job.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X